Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] Character Sculpt - Cloudia

Hi guys, this is my very first post here :smile: !!

I'm currently working on a character sculpt which I'd like to turn into a low poly, bake and texture in Substance Painter. I chose Skottie Young's Cloudia, she's from his comic "I hate Fairyland" and I just loved her silhouette and attitude.

As you see, her hair and many details are very organically shaped clouds. It's difficult to me to not make them look like waxxy blobs.

Any ideas on how I could give them a bit more definition?

I chose to sculpt fewer, bigger shapes instead of replicating the comic's busy look. I tried retopping them but that way, they turn out even softer and blobbier, I'm afraid.

Any suggestions and feedback are greatly appreciated! Cheers!!

References from the comic (I used them more as a guide than sticking to them 100%):

My WIPs:

Replies

• Lurcisia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lurcisia greentooth
    First of all, I think this is looking great! Loving the approach you took on this :smile:
    I think you shouldn't be afraid of the blobby-ness. Embrace it. You're going in the right direction so far in my opinion, you just need to match the drawings more to make it look intentional. For example, the ends of her hair (face) are made out of small round lumpy pieces, whereas on your model they're sharper ends. I think maintaining the blobby-ness throughout will benefit you. I also believe you should add more smaller blobs to build a better silhouette (The smaller pieces are more evident in the last close-up image). You can definitely make the blobs look more defined, even if they're blobs, smaller ones might help you!

• Tinnuu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lurcisia said:
    First of all, I think this is looking great! Loving the approach you took on this :smile:
    I think you shouldn't be afraid of the blobby-ness. Embrace it. You're going in the right direction so far in my opinion, you just need to match the drawings more to make it look intentional. For example, the ends of her hair (face) are made out of small round lumpy pieces, whereas on your model they're sharper ends. I think maintaining the blobby-ness throughout will benefit you. I also believe you should add more smaller blobs to build a better silhouette (The smaller pieces are more evident in the last close-up image). You can definitely make the blobs look more defined, even if they're blobs, smaller ones might help you!

Thanks a lot for your helpful feedback, Lurcisia! You're right, the hair ends are contradicting the overall shape as they are now. I'll definitely try as you said and add more smaller shapes, I think that will help to make it look more defined. Thanks so much for taking the time to comment ^_^