Home Technical Talk

how to move subtool from Zbrush to Maya while maintaining mesh (without decimation)

suwhan
node
Offline / Send Message
suwhan node
Hello, everyone,

I had a question regarding moving a subtool from Zbrush to Maya to edit some forms (in particular to extrude and add in sharp lines).

Is there a way to move my subtool from Zbrush to Maya to edit without having to decimate? I can't do what I want with the decimated model in Maya due to the mesh being the way it is (when decimated in Zbrush). After, I'll bring it into Zbrush again to work on the model some more.

Any ideas?

Replies

• Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    what is preventing you from exporting the subtool into maya? Why do you think you need to decimate it? What do you think the purpose of the decimation tool is?

you can export as an fbx or as an obj from zbrush. Look up "export from zbrush" and you'll find documentation explaining how.

• suwhan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    suwhan node
    It's currently too high poly, that's the problem.
  • goekbenjamin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    goekbenjamin polycounter lvl 6
    You could use GOZ?

but keep in mind it will autom. jump to lowest sub div level befor sending it to maya...
    than work in maya, after that you could sned it back to zbrush via 

• Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    if it is too much polygons and you are wanting to do something like add in edgeloops, you need to export a lower subdivision level, then reproject the details. Tool > subtool > project all is the thing to google.

If you don't have subdivision levels (you've been using dynamesh or sculptris) you can either retopologize and then project all, or consider means within zbrush to get hard edges if you are still concepting. For that, there's dozens of techniques. If you are not still concepting your idea out, it's probably going to behoove you to work with subdivision levels -- in other words, build a new low topology and stop working with dynamesh.
  • suwhan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    suwhan node
    ahh, thanks so much, that's what I've been looking for!