Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Need help getting references

Hello, I'm Sam and i'm quite new to character modelling, however I've become quite interested in doing while at university. The only  problem i am having is being able to get references for example if i wanted to create a concept model of pokemon, digimon, etc. I dont know how to start would someone be able to help me?

Replies

• Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    So you want to do concept SCULPTS of Pokemon-LIKE characters?

Have you tried Google for references, @TwistedSwordz or is that not providing the EXACT thing you want?

There is also Artstation.com, an concentrated image site for entertainment design focused art.
  • TwistedSwordz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah and i was looking on google but its not providing the exact thing i want to be able to use it. I was told that if the references weren't there then ill have to draw out what is needed but i didnt know if they was 100% true.  Oh, i will try that website. Thanks. 
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What search terms are you using?  Does your university have a librarian that can help you with learning how to do research?
  • Domslice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Domslice polycounter lvl 8
    Hello, I'm Sam and i'm quite new to character modelling, however I've become quite interested in doing while at university. The only  problem i am having is being able to get references for example if i wanted to create a concept model of pokemon, digimon, etc. I dont know how to start would someone be able to help me?
    Welcome Sam to Polycount and the wonderful world of 3D!

Are you taking any formal education right now? You should definitely head over to that area of the forums and the Wiki to adsorb as much as you can.

TBH, reference gathering is alot like "sifting" for gold nuggets. You just gather as many images as you can from Google/your smartphone/magazines/Twitter/Pinteres, dump em into a folder and make a mood-board. 

Are you familiar with Photoshop, or apps like Kuadro?
  • TwistedSwordz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What search terms are you using?  Does your university have a librarian that can help you with learning how to do research?
    I was just searching for digimon/ pokemon references, then i changed to searching for model sheets and front and side views. I was getting some of what i wanted but not the what i wanted, if you get me.

• Nam.Nguyen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nam.Nguyen polycounter lvl 9
    I think Pinterest is a good place for you to find references.

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/392868767478693356/

• TwistedSwordz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Domslice said:

Are you taking any formal education right now? You should definitely head over to that area of the forums and the Wiki to adsorb as much as you can.

TBH, reference gathering is alot like "sifting" for gold nuggets. You just gather as many images as you can from Google/your smartphone/magazines/Twitter/Pinteres, dump em into a folder and make a mood-board. 

Hey, thanks :D
    Yeah im in university at the moment so im learning from there but i always want to try improve myself, what area on the forum is that please? 

• TwistedSwordz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think Pinterest is a good place for you to find references.

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/392868767478693356/

Yeah ive been looking there too but they dont have the right reference i need so i was wondering how to do it because i want to model magnamon, raidramon from digimon but i couldnt find it. 
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was just searching for digimon/ pokemon references, then i changed to searching for model sheets and front and side views. I was getting some of what i wanted but not the what i wanted, if you get me.

What it sounds like is you want comprehensive 2D breakdowns and turnarounds of VERY specific pokemon that rarely any 2D artist has done.

Are you comfortable filling in the gaps in 3D, or draawing on your own?  Because if you're not, now is the time to learn.

Otherwise, it's still confusing what you're looking for without you showing us the last time you found what you were looking for.
  • Domslice
  • TwistedSwordz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Domslice said:

Yeah im in university at the moment so im learning from there but i always want to try improve myself, what area on the forum is that please? 
    Yeah i have a pinterest account and ive been searching all around and saving things to a references folder. 

Yeah im familiar with Photoshop but ive never heard of kuadro, so ill look into it. Thankyou 
  • TwistedSwordz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Domslice said:

Yeah i have a pinterest account and ive been searching all around and saving things to a references folder. 

Yeah im familiar with Photoshop but ive never heard of kuadro, so ill look into it. Thankyou