Home Career & Education

Workflow

Brometheous
polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Brometheous polycounter lvl 7
Hey folks, I need some help. I've recently been on a few interviews and have not received an offer. When I ask why, they saw they don't like my workflow. I'm currently at a job where everything is on fire all the time and I have forgotten how to describe a proper workflow. Could someone help me out with this question? I've been in the industry for ten years and never had a problem with the question until recently.

Replies

• lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    I think for starters it could be nice If you explained your current workflow so we have a starting point to discuss around :)

with that said, If you have been in the Industry for ten years it might just be that your using a 10 year old workflow pipeline, but its really hard to say anything without more info.
  • Panupat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Panupat polycounter lvl 15
    You mean you have really tight deadline? If your work looks decent in short amount of time I would see that as a bonus... do you have an Artstation page?
  • Brometheous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for your guys input. I do have an Artstation and I have worked at some big name places. I usually get a phone interview the day after I apply and within a week or two I'm in their studio for an in house. So I've been getting that far. After the interview, I have received feedback that I failed the "workflow" question which is why I'm reaching out to you guys for help.
    I don't have an outdated workflow, I just have a job that is always on fire due to their mismanagement. I currently just try and get work done as fast and as high quality as I can while maintain positive communication with others. I don't have a formula besides survive unfortunately.
    Apologies for being vague as I don't want my current co-workers to see me interviewing :) Any insight would be greatly appreciated. 
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    "After the interview, I have received feedback that I failed the "workflow" question which is why I'm reaching out to you guys for help."

Well ... what was the question, and what was your answer ?
  • Brometheous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    well it's been three different interviews now, and it's generally " tell me about your workflow" and I proceed to tell them that "I like to do mock ups(in PS or AE or Flash), I try to open communication for everyone and get input. I also try to carve out time of my day each day for R+D or for harder, more time intensive tasks in the morning so I can available for emergent conversations/tasks during the day. I try to be flexible to what the team needs and be in sync with the Art director." and thats what I've been failing :( please help
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    I don't have experience to answer your question but do be careful about blaming others - especially managers- for anything really.  It's just not the time and place and may raise questions about your interpersonal skills. 
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Your answer sounds like it answering a question about HOW you work with people, not HOW you make an asset.
  • defragger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    defragger sublime tool
    They are trying to figure out if you are a problem solver. So they want to know how you approach a given task. By telling them what you described you are basically saying that you do mockups and then rely on others (Art Director) to tell you what to do. Trying to get everyone involved may sound great at first but when you think about it ... they want you to solve the task at hand. Not involve everyone in it.

Sorry if that sounds harsh. I hope it makes sense and helps with your next interview.

Also, when talking about your former employer don't blame or talk bad about the people. You can say that projects were not very challenging or interesting from a technical or artistic point of view. It shows that you want to learn more and do cool better stuff in the future which is a big plus. It also implies that you think the studio you are applying at makes some cool stuff :)
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Well, assuming that the interviews were about a game modeling/asset creation job (as this is the main topic of this forum), then the answers you gave don't seem to have much relevance to the question ....

... Unless the position in question was that of an art producer ? But then the topic of "workflow" would be irrelevant anyways. In short, there's probably a misunderstanding here.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah if someone ask me my workflow it's like:

Study concept, gather additional reference if needed (assuming I'm not designing the thing - if I am: study refs and do design work here)
    Block out major proportions, save copies to help when generating low
    Do high poly/detail work sub-d or sculpting in zBrush here depending on what you're doing
    Do low poly
    Do rough UVs and test bake to make sure low poly holds up for bakes
    Finalize UVs and bake final maps
    Take into PS or Painter or whatever to do materials
    - You can break this step down further too
    - Block in base materials
    - Add any unique design elements
    - Detail work and polish
    Done

This is the sort of answer I would give and what I would expect to hear in an interview.
  • poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    I'd expect several mentions of testing in game on top of that. 

If I were interviewing you for a senior position (not an unreasonable expectation given 10 years experience) I'd be listening for evidence of you applying pragmatic working practices, supporting others, solving problems and involving yourself in affairs that are outside your direct discipline. Without that force multiplying effect you're just an expensive artist in a big pool of cheaper ones.