Home Technical Talk

How to edit a final blender model with multiple layers?

Hello Guys!
I am sorry if this not the right subforum for my question, but I would appreciate any kind of help.
I have a sculpture of David (Michelangelo) with multiple layers in Blender and want to change the position of his arms (he should cross his arms instead of the original position).

As a quiet modeling noob, I just want to ask for some hints:

1. Is it basically possible to change the position of his arms?
2. Is it better to do this by another application? I can export the model and change anytime the 3D application if necessary.
3. I assume that you cant give me a step-by-step manual, but are there any useful youtube tutorials for changing blender models with multiple layers?

I really appreciate your help!

Replies

• sacboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range

Yes, (...though default shading without textures) it's definitely possible but a ton of work ahead if you've the self discipline to see it through? and there's no need to export out into another app, Blender is more than capable, even a legacy build who's UI I'd not seen in 12yrs. Now there are a number of techniques to achieve that pose, all readily available in detail via the Web, however firstly what have you researched thus far in terms of posing or animating a deformable mesh or in other words a character? 

• fascination_earth
    Hey, thank you for your response!
    According to another board where I asked this question, it seems that I have to retopologize the meshes what means a very complex work.
    Therefore I will search for a model which is already retopologized.
  • sacboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

You'll be OK with this model. I actually recognise the file, it's a C-C Zero licenced free download from Blendswap, which means there's no restrictions/constraints in place for personal or commercial use, but nevertheless it's common practise, well really accepted etiquette too always credit the original author before re-editing with an intent of re-publishing their work or not, whether the whole and/or part/s thereof.

Anyway, if you're still interested I'll write up a tutorial walkthrough and PM a link?

I rarely if ever post detailed workflows nowadays due to a host of other commitments and lack of energy, but it's entirely obvious to me that you're attempting this 'mini' project blind without knowing what essentially is involved.

NOTE:

Retopologising the object is not necessary, since it's neither a scanned nor high poly mesh plus dependant on your prime DCC device's hardware spec's Blender enables backwards file compatibility, although working with a 2.4x framework is fine as I'd mentioned earlier.   

• fascination_earth
    wow, that would be great if you can provide me this tutorial walkthrough!
    I don't want to shift the whole work to other ones, but if I get some basics to know how to start, I would be more as happy :)
  • sacboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No probs, I'll have a look at it over the weekend.
  • sacboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

@fascination_earth PM'd you, the attached workflow doc is just a VERY basic intro too Rigging a character, based on this series by Lee Salvemini over on the Blender Guru channel. Anyways have fun with it.

Cheers.