Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Medieval Environment

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Aleks_T polycounter lvl 7
It's time to make some environment and lern unity a bit more. What do you think?

Replies

• Ashervisalis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    I think if you made things a little less perfect, it would go a long way. Make some bends and dents on the metal pieces of the jail cells. The floor also looks really smooth. The floor bricks/stone have that smooth worn look, but maybe increase the depth of the grooves between the bricks of the floor?

Regarding the lighting, I feel like the cool light would be coming from the moon through some windows. It might look more believable if the cool blue light was only on one side of the image, and maybe toned down a slight amount?

Looks really cool, keep it up!
  • Aleks_T
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The floor actually has details, but there is a lack of light.
    Yes, i have to make more damage everywhere.
    I don't want o break a symmetry for now.
  • Aleks_T
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Jakro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jakro greentooth
    That's looking much better! Keep at it!  :)
  • Seeberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Seeberg polycounter lvl 6
    This is looking great! One minor fix is that the barrels don't look shallow enough. There is generally a lip where the lid sinks in a bit. 
  • Aleks_T
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Finnn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finnn greentooth
    Looks great already. You could make it more detailed and less clean by using decals and clutter on the floor. I am thinking of straw that's laying around like you often see in medieval prisons.
  • AndrewMKelley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AndrewMKelley polycounter lvl 7
    Your lighting has a nice balance of warm and cool colors, and it's pretty nice! +1 to Finnn's comment, breaking up where meshes meet will really push this scene. You already have some of that with the bottles near the lower center of the picture. To add to Finnn's comment, also hit  where the walls and pillars intersect with decals of either grime/dirt, or maybe wetness if you want this to have a dank feeling. I did a quick paintover just as an example
    A cool addition for atmosphere would be maybe some spiderwebs/cobwebs if this area isn't heavily trafficked by people? Just a thought. Keep it up, the scene is looking pretty nice!
  • teleworm1337
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The floor actually has details, but there is a lack of light.
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    I think cobblestone walls ceiling and floor should have a lot more irregularity, beyond what normal map can deliver. Check out Ghost of a Tale for good examples. 

Also ceilings lower and narrower walkways for a dungeon. This seems like a place built for giants to me.

Open flame makes hard shadows. Damp stone won't bounce as much light.

Interesting colors I think, though they make the place feel a bit Mediterranean and even a little welcoming. I've been in a few old castles and dungeons and to me they feel gloomy and claustrophobic, typically.
  • Aleks_T
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't know why i still didn't make any decalls. Have to fix it.
    I tried to make more depth in textures, but standard unity materials make a little difference.
    The straw... i have it already, but want to save for another room.
    It's difficult to make correct shadows for now. Because i used to make a lot of fake lights.
    Maybe i will break the floor with geometry...

• wirrexx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wirrexx ngon master
    Aleks_T said:
    I don't know why i still didn't make any decalls. Have to fix it.
    I tried to make more depth in textures, but standard unity materials make a little difference.
    The straw... i have it already, but want to save for another room.
    It's difficult to make correct shadows for now. Because i used to make a lot of fake lights.
    Maybe i will break the floor with geometry...

wow, a breakdown for that would be nice.. Or is it just a Tilable texture with alphas? Seems like it, anyway great work! 
  • Aleks_T
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's an atlas.

• Aleks_T
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm tired of night. Trying daylight.