Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

WIP - Guts (Berserk Fanart)

Daedaiuz
polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Daedaiuz polycounter lvl 4
Hi guys I've been working on this fan art. Some critique to improve it would be much appreciated.

Replies

• Anura_Interceptor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anura_Interceptor polycounter lvl 5
    I looked it over thoroughly and compared it to several different reference images. The only thing I can find wrong with it is the feet, the sabatons of the armor taper to one point, not three. The textures are a bit shiny and plastic looking, but I assume they're placeholder. Here's an image which shows the feet. Other than that, looks great. Has all the details of the real thing. Do you plan on animating it? Could easily do better than the 2016/2017 anime with that.

• Daedaiuz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey man thanks for pointing that out, I'll work on it. I'm not planning on animating it, just posing and maybe optimizing it more to post on sketchfab. Thanks for the feedback.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Some subtle gradienting of the black metal would definitely give it a bit mroe body.  The brushing and roughness changes helps already.  With some slight hue changes, armor would definitely pop a lot better.

Also, an overall gradient on the whole character may guide the eyes better to the eyes.
  • Tzz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tzz polycounter lvl 6
    Your modeling is great, very clean edge flow as well  :)

You can do a lot more with the texturing still. At the moment the metal pattern looks very even all over. As Brian suggested add some gradients. Have a look at how metal gets worn down in real-life. If you have Substance painter you could play around with smart masks/filters to brighten the edges and darken the crevices.

On the figure they just made the edges a lot brighter to define them more for example:
    https://cdn11.bigcommerce.com/s-89ffd/images/stencil/1024x1024/products/48848/162440/4545784065679-1__77383.1536913226.jpg?c=2

Afterwards, when you're taking it to sketchfab, try around with lighting, since the way the model is lit will have a big impact on how it looks.

A fantastic start, keep it up!  B)
  • Daedaiuz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some subtle gradienting of the black metal would definitely give it a bit mroe body.  The brushing and roughness changes helps already.  With some slight hue changes, armor would definitely pop a lot better.

Also, an overall gradient on the whole character may guide the eyes better to the eyes.
    Thanks man, will definitely work on this.

Tzz
    said:
    Your modeling is great, very clean edge flow as well  :)

You can do a lot more with the texturing still. At the moment the metal pattern looks very even all over. As Brian suggested add some gradients. Have a look at how metal gets worn down in real-life. If you have Substance painter you could play around with smart masks/filters to brighten the edges and darken the crevices.

On the figure they just made the edges a lot brighter to define them more for example:
    https://cdn11.bigcommerce.com/s-89ffd/images/stencil/1024x1024/products/48848/162440/4545784065679-1__77383.1536913226.jpg?c=2

Afterwards, when you're taking it to sketchfab, try around with lighting, since the way the model is lit will have a big impact on how it looks.

A fantastic start, keep it up!  B)
    Thank you! Yes, I'm still fairly new to substance painter and couldn't figure out how to get those brushed metal textures to go along the armor. Need to watch more tutorials lol, I appreciate the feedback.