Home Digital Sketchbooks

Sketchbook: Harley Gresham

polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
HarleyG polycounter lvl 2
Hello everyone, my name is Harley, I am an environment artist living in Tokyo. I'm trying to break into the industry. This is where I will post weekly updates on what I'm learning, and trying to improve on.

My portfolio is available here: artstation.com/harleygresham

Critiques are super welcome! Please feel free to give your input, good or bad. :smiley:

Replies

• HarleyG
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    December 25th - Merry Christmas to me.

This is for my Shrine project, which is a small environment in Unreal Engine 4. I'm taking some of the work I did for my unfinished Feudal Japan Artstation project and down-scoping to something more achievable! Should be fun.

Please excuse the roughness. Just a blockin using some older meshes.

• HarleyG
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    December 26th - More blockout work.

This time thinking about the original concept, it had water in it, so I might incorporate some water somehow.

• HarleyG
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    December 29th - More blockout

Hmm. Playing around with having running water instead of a set body of water. Of course, I'm not sure exactly how I'll fill in the edges of the environment. I have to keep playing with this. For now, I like the direction it is heading in.

• HarleyG
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    1st January 2019 - Blockout (final?)

I think this starting to really take shape.The overall layout is similar, but the changes to a flowing river/stream give the scene some nice focus and also introduces some movement to an otherwise static scene. I've also been thinking about where to place cameras to best show off the environment, so I've been learning more about composition and shape language. Really interesting so far. 

I need to nail down exactly what feel I'm going for this time, and I'll update next time with my decision. I at least know that the environment is set in Autumn, hence the HDR choice, but by no means though will I be using this exact HDR. 

I've also been watching some daedalus51's lighting academy on Youtube, and it's been really interesting. Lighting in UE4 is something that is still very confusing for me, but is becoming more and more clear.
  • HarleyG
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    6th January 2019 - Planning

Alright, general look and feel is established, and I have some base meshes to take into zbrush. I'll start things off with working on some wooden planks that will make up the floor of level. Should be fun!

Photos are mine, and some from Jonas Ronnegard's Japan photo reference pack. These aren't all the reference photos I have of course, these are just to understand the scene's direction better. 

Still using just the meshes exported from UE4. Haven't made trees or anything that organic before, so, should be a fun challenge.
  • HarleyG
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    6th January 2019 - Sculpting Wooden Planks

Doing some Zbrush sculpting with these planks. I'm trying to go for floor boards that have been polished, but have also been weathered by rain, and foot traffic. think I over-damaged them though? Anyway, I would love some critique. I'm not great at Zbrush yet.

• HarleyG
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    7th January 2019 - Sculpting Wooden Planks

Got some good feedback on my sculpt from yesterday, namely that I had gone too far with the damage, and that the surface was too uneven looking. So I've flattened it back, and instead worked on emulating the angular chipping away of wood. If that makes sense? Almost there, maybe just a little more TLC.

• HarleyG
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    10th January 2019 - Wall piece low poly and plank sculpting (done hopefully)

Working on the low poly of the wall piece, with an extra detachable piece for extra interest if I like it. Wooden planks are have been quick uv'd and decimated in zbrush, with a sloppy paint job in substance painter. I'll have a proper go at texturing it, after I preview it in UE4.

• HarleyG
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    14th January 2019 - Wall piece Texturing, Plank Texturing

This weekend I learned the importance of choosing the right tool for the right object. I spent too much time in zbrush doing sculpting on my wood, but really it was unnecessary. Still, these textures are coming out pretty nice. 

• HarleyG
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    20th January 2019 - General update

Learnt a lot about proper baking, unwrapping, and some substance tips. Lots more, but yes, here is an update. :smiley:

• HarleyG
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GameJam 2019 

I made a game for Gamejam 2019 with two of my web developer friends. I did all the 3d artwork. It was a really great experience.

Come play it: https://globalgamejam.org/2019/games/metal-baby

• HarleyG
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    4th February 2019

Long time no update :smile:  I have been working on various things. Materials, modelling, etc. Also learned the basics of making landscape materials. Just using some UE4 starter pack textures for testing purposes. Dirt material is very simple right now, but it'll make sense when it is used in conjunction with the leaves and sand textures I'll be making this week.

• HarleyG
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    18th February 2019

Made some good progress on my leaves material for my project. It's been fun making this. I don't think this is quite finished though, yellow leaves in particular need more love. Damage, dirt, etc. Also, some of the leaves are still overlapping each other. Using masks is a bit fiddly with the tile sampler, I wonder if there's a better way.

Also, just for fun, I followed 3Dex's tutorial on this stylized ice material. Man, stylized work is really fun. I like how fast you can iterate on it.

• HarleyG
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    25th March 2019

Wow, so long time since I last posted here. Well, some things have changed! I've been busy learning landscapes, lighting, materials, and much more. Some of the foliage are still placeholders, but other objects like the rocks are my own meshes. Yes, the buildings still need texturing! XD. But I'm happy with the progress.

• HarleyG
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    1st April 2019

This is a good point to put this project on hold so I can recharge my batteries by doing some smaller objects. I'd welcome any comments people on composition and lighting specifically, but anything else would be lovely too.

Current Personal Critiques:
    • Red is pretty but overwhelming. Needs more variety.
    • Skybox quite dull. Needs something...
    • Lighting inside the shrine needs to be stronger, and should have a reason for casting such light in a day time scene. 
    Unfinished Assets:
    • Mountain lacks treeline 
    • Red paint requires more wear.. Probably need some decals.
    • Roof is missing thatch texture.
    • Missing two planned Japanese trees to replace the green trees.
    • Shrine "Plaque"

• HarleyG
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    7th April 2019

Spinning Wheel - 
    Took a week off my shrine environment to work on a smaller prop I could do in a week or so. Definitely coming along. Looking forward to adding wear and tear to it to show its usage and history.

Known Problems: Top "Banana" shaped piece is not correctly modeled, and there is no wool on the mesh!]

I'd like some feedback on proportions. 

• HarleyG
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • HarleyG
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    May 3 2019 ~ Golden Week Friday

I recently posted my Shrine Project in its own thread: https://polycount.com/discussion/210957/lakeside-shrine-ue4#latest  If you'd like to give me any feedback, I'd be very happy to hear it. 

I also worked on this a week ago, some new renders of some materials from 2018 and early 2019. There's a texture breakdown and more available on m ArtStation:  https://www.artstation.com/harleygresham 

• HarleyG
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    May 3 2019 ~ Golden Week Friday Part 2

Also brushed up some older work. It's really cool seeing how much a new render can refresh a piece.

I think there are definitely some areas on the model that could have been better UV unwrapped, baked, and modelled, but for an older piece of mine, I am happy with it.

More breakdown shots available on my Artstation portfolio: artstation.com/harleygresham

• HarleyG
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    May 3 2019 ~ Golden Week Friday Part 3

Lastly, I made some new renders of some in-progress work. I'm not sure if I will finish the grave piece, but the spinning wheel is definitely on my list to finish soon.

If I were to finish this piece, I'd definitely change the details on the front of the tombstone as well, since I'm fairly sure I took them from a photograph of a real tombstone.
  • HarleyG
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    11th May 2019

Spinning Wheel - Damage Pass in Zbrush.

Just screenshots from Zbrush for now. I am having trouble properly sculpting the wool from the reference. I think it would add a lot to the piece, so I really want to add it if possible.

Does anyone have any suggestions for properly sculpting thread like this? 

Reference for interest:

And how about my damage details. Natural? Too much?

J