Home Unreal Engine

Unreal Material HELP for Eyes with refraction

polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
aanselmo polycounter lvl 2
Hi everyone, recently I have being testing a way to simplify the eye mesh and be modular to use on realtime and high render you can see it here (https://polycount.com/discussion/206915/eye-setup-for-realtime-and-high-render#latest) 
I was quite sure Unreal could do this as well as marmoset but it does not. I noticed the effect of the iris does not happen on the side view.
My question here is, is it possible to recreate the same setup as on marmoset and what could I try to achieve this.

For now all I have tried is to control the IOR with the camera distance, but is only works from the front view and even in closeup is not perfect.
Any help, suggestion on what to try is welcome. The only Idea I come up with and not sure what to do is to raise the strength of the distortion effect from the side view with a camera node or maybe fresnel?

Replies

• Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura grand marshal polycounter
    Check out one of the Paragon character's eye setup or one of the digital human ones. They are all available for free to download.
  • aanselmo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura said:
    Check out one of the Paragon character's eye setup or one of the digital human ones. They are all available for free to download.
    I did, but they use a single mesh for the eyeball/iris/pupil, and can be done with different mesh setup :/ but thanks for the help
  • Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well. Those has a material ready. Thats how it should be done in Unreal, at least if you want minimal effort. Just use theirs.
  • aanselmo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I know that, in a way is easier but makes it impossible to try it in a different way. Bu my idea was to make a eye setup that would work for high render and realtime, it works on arnold and marmoset but refraction on unreal doesn't work the same way the other render engines
  • aanselmo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I changed the pixel Depth for the fresnel and the results are better, but I still can't figure out why the refraction does not reflect what is inside instead of what is coming from the front... 

pth
  • Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    In the reality, using double mesh with transparency like this is an expensive and bad practice. Right, you only make little amount of expensive pixels, but still, this is very inefficient. This effect can be easily emulated using a parallax kind of approach. Epic did the same in the digital human demos and in Paragon. I would highly recommend checking out a this kind of workflow instead of the suffer with shit  refraction and expensive translucency.
  • aanselmo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura said:
    In the reality, using double mesh with transparency like this is an expensive and bad practice. Right, you only make little amount of expensive pixels, but still, this is very inefficient. This effect can be easily emulated using a parallax kind of approach. Epic did the same in the digital human demos and in Paragon. I would highly recommend checking out a this kind of workflow instead of the suffer with shit  refraction and expensive translucency.

I know about the digital human and paragon shader and setup, but I still wanted to see if its possible. It's not about if is a good or bad practice. I know the way they do it would be the best use for games. But thanks
  • poopipe
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    Refraction in ue4 is a screen space effect afaik  It's messing around with a picture of what's visible behind the transparent surface, not bending light rays to show you things you would not otherwise be able to see. 

Assuming I'm not wrong that means if you can't see it on screen it can't be taken into account by the refraction. 

I'd be very surprised if marmoset behaves significantly differently to ue4 

• aanselmo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe said:
    Refraction in ue4 is a screen space effect afaik  It's messing around with a picture of what's visible behind the transparent surface, not bending light rays to show you things you would not otherwise be able to see. 

Assuming I'm not wrong that means if you can't see it on screen it can't be taken into account by the refraction. 

I'd be very surprised if marmoset behaves significantly differently to ue4 

Yeah I am starting to see that this will not work well on Unreal, even tho is not even practical was mostly a test and to get work as in Marmoset and Arnold. I still have an idea to try but not with hope that will work. 
    But yes this in marmoset works since they used refraction on the opacity channel which for me is better that going with the parallax effect, but of course it costs more on the render
  • jozin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jozin polycounter lvl 6
    Try use 1/1.33 for refraction instead of 1.33
  • aanselmo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jozin said:
    Try use 1/1.33 for refraction instead of 1.33
    Thanks I need to test that, hope it works