Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[UE4] Dark fantasy project, "You without end".

greentooth
Offline / Send Message
Spag_Eddy greentooth
Good afternoon my fellow 3D dudes and dudettes!

After three months of spending every ounce of free time I had and completely abandoning anything that might resemble a social life or a hobby, I am finally near completion of my 2nd project. The concept itself was formed around my life-long love for the the 1985 fantasy film "Legend" as I have always wondered what may have become of the two main characters, the hero, Jack, and Princess Lili, after the film's conclusion. This project is my personal imagining of the relationship that followed. True love, followed by profound grief and despair. #emolyfe

I would much welcome and feedback and critique, as I know that I have a lot of room still to improve and it's challenging for me to know what areas I need to work on without community input! I am still working on the lighting and would especially very much appreciate any feedback I could get in regards to it, as lighting always tends to be my Achilles' heel.

Many thanks!

Replies

• Spag_Eddy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spag_Eddy greentooth
    Edit: Spent the weekend updating lighting and improving textures.
  • Spag_Eddy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spag_Eddy greentooth
    Bump. One more try  :/
  • DanNC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DanNC node
    This looks like a lot of work, so kudos to you for doing it and sticking with it.

I don't know much about rendering in UE, but I think some ambient occlusion would help a lot, since a lot of objects don't look like they're touching (for instance, the rugs). I would also maybe put a blue light shining in from outside, since everything inside looks so yellow and dark. Adding some post processing and playing with RGB curves might help get a better result as well. I don't know much about environment art, so take what I say with a grain of salt.

Either way, keep it up, I like it! Your textures seem to be pretty well made.
  • Spag_Eddy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spag_Eddy greentooth
    DanNC said:
    This looks like a lot of work, so kudos to you for doing it and sticking with it. 

I don't know much about rendering in UE, but I think some ambient occlusion would help a lot, since a lot of objects don't look like they're touching (for instance, the rugs). I would also maybe put a blue light shining in from outside, since everything inside looks so yellow and dark. Adding some post processing and playing with RGB curves might help get a better result as well. I don't know much about environment art, so take what I say with a grain of salt. 

Either way, keep it up, I like it! Your textures seem to be pretty well made. 

Thanks for the feedback! I really appreciate it! I'm a little embarrassed to admit this, but I really didn't have much experience messing with the post-processing effects in Unreal, so I took your advice, spent some time educating myself, and used it to tweak my scene. It made such an amazing difference and brought the project much closer to how I had envisioned it being in terms of lighting. So again, thank you! It was a complete game-changer. I still have some tweaking to do, but it looks much better, in my opinion.

Updated screens for anyone that cares: