Home Unreal Engine

I cannot move my right paddle for my pong game.

node

Hey guys, I wanted to make a really basic Pong game from Alex Young and I have already done this same set up three times already, following the video. Here I have a couple of pictures displaying my right paddle for my game. Basically it wont move even though I have the Axis mapping set to "Up and down" for the arrow keys and the one for up is set to 1.0 while down is set to -1.0
I don't know what to do beyond this point and it's very frustrating, so I am all out of options here, and nothing online can help me really. So. Yes. Thank you to anyone who helps me out! 

Replies

• Obscura
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura grand marshal polycounter
    So if I understand correctly, you are spawning 2 players right? I mean 2 pawns.
  • Obscura
    Offline / Send Message
    If thats the case, I can tell you, it won't work. Two different characters cannot receive input from one controller. But. You can make both to not be a character or pawn, but extended just from actor. Then at the class settings, set both of them to receive input from player 0. Then you don't even need a character, they will both receive input.
  • kenten_dev
    No, My issue is that I cannot move my right pawn(That Static Mesh you see there) up or down, that's my issue. 
  • Obscura
    Offline / Send Message
    That is basically what I said. If you put a print string after the get p1 move up and print out the value, you will see that one of them will always output 0. If you do some googling youll find out that this is a classic issue. And the reason for it is what I said. 2 pawns cannot be directly controlled using one controller.
  • kenten_dev
    Obscura said:
    That is basically what I said. If you put a print string after the get p1 move up and print out the value, you will see that one of them will always output 0. If you do some googling youll find out that this is a classic issue. And the reason for it is what I said. 2 pawns cannot be directly controlled using one controller.
    So what would I need to do exactly? I am fairly new to Unreal so to say. I'll try googling the issue again. 
  • Obscura
    Offline / Send Message
    Don't use pawn. Extend the class from actor, and set it to receive input from player 0. Also set the game mode to not spawn a character or pawn. 

Then if you spawn or place two of your new paddle actors, both of them will react to the button presses properly.
  • kenten_dev
    Obscura said:
    Don't use pawn. Extend the class from actor, and set it to receive input from player 0. Also set the game mode to not spawn a character or pawn. 

Then if you spawn or place two of your new paddle actors, both of them will react to the button presses properly.
    Thank you Obsura, I will give this a try when I get home.