Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Finished] Asian Girl, looking for feedback

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
vavavoom polycounter lvl 11
Here's my latest WIP, It's from the concept by Sungmin Jung

I was told she looks like Mulan, but I'm not sure if that's the artists intention or not. Either way, I really liked the concept so thought I'd have a go.

The concept isn't exactly symmetrically proportioned, the right side of the face is wider than the left so I've been following the left side of the face for now with the aim of widening the whole face later to fit somewhere in the middle.

Please critique or comment on anything, I'm hoping to add this as a finished sculpt to my portfolio.

Thanks
~

Calling this one finished now... will do the eyelashes and hair strands tomorrow and that's pretty much it!

Replies

• vavavoom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • dGreenberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dGreenberg polycounter
    I really like the style of the character, @vavavoom! I think you've captured the look of Sungmin Jung's concept really well, and my only critiques are suuper nit-picky. 

It could be a nice breakup if you made her cheeks or cheekbones a little fuller from the 3/4 angle. Not so much that it would change much of the front view, but enough to give her a little more skull support. The concept for the clothes has them super squared off and clean, but that shouldn't be too much trouble to clean up with the high poly sculpt. The only other thing I could think of would be the area around the corners of the mouth (the labial commissure I think it's called?). They could be a little more inset so the area between the mouth and cheek could create that nice crease / line. 

She's looking fantastic either way, and it'd be awesome to see you finish her up! Good luck moving forward 
  • vavavoom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks @dGreenberg.
    That's a good spot, I hadn't noticed that the cheeks were somewhat a little sunken perhaps, so I've followed your suggestion and filled them out a bit more :)

I'll post again soon with my painting progress too. I've been making a start on painting whilst working on the clothes~~~
  • vavavoom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • vavavoom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wasn't happy with the anatomy, the texture paint was hiding big flaws, so I did some study and reworked the sculpt.
    Gonna finish up the texture painting and the clothes next...

Latest:

• vavavoom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The eye lenses don't show good transparency from certain perspectives when its rendered in Zbrush using PBR but that's something to worry about later I guess...

Any suggestions as the best way to showcase finished sculpts?  I see so many amazing looking showcase shots, most notably using marmoset?  I'm curious if marmoset is the best option out there.
    I also see sketchfab a lot, but maybe i need to retopo it into a lower poly model firstly?

Any advice, suggestion going forward with this would be greatly appreciated, I want to put this sculpt into a showcase portfolio

~Thanks~
  • wirrexx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wirrexx ngon master
    Lucy Lui as Mulan! nice one! 
  • vavavoom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ha! thanks ;)

I'm not sure of the concept artists intention, I just tried to match the concept art as best I could. 

I couldn't capture all of the shading exactly without having to have actually painted them all on as in the concept, which wouldn't translate when I changed the perspective.
    For example, I think her eyes appear bigger and much brighter than the concept because I don't now enough about shading and rendering to achieve this.

My earlier attempts at this model I did actually paint on all the shading exactly as in the concept, which looked great when viewed flat from the front, but looked strange if I turned the model :(       ....also my earlier attempts had really big anatomy flaws.

Oh, i did also include a mouth cavity in my sculpt so i could maybe add teeth and play around with facial poses....but that's a whole new level for me, something to consider later.
  • Edrice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Edrice polycounter lvl 7
    The only issue is from the side, the head is really too flat. The front of the face works well enough for an Asian character, but the back of the head is missing some volume. The hair should be bulkier in the back to allow some visual space for the skull. Beyond that it's cool.