Home Career & Education

Quick 'how to' guide for a wannabe environmental artist

Kossuth
node
Offline / Send Message
Kossuth node
Hi everyone,

I would like to explore the possibility of becoming an environmental artist, but I would like a solid plan - kind of one of those people that needs structure/methodology to follow through. I work full time also, so I want to be efficient as possible.

Right now, I am simply sketching Drawabox.com - the lessons I am working on right now seems to be pretty focused on form and construction (drawing animals).

From what little I understand, perspective seems to be the most important fundamental piece, but reading a lot that lighting and values are crucial as well. While I was planning on just finishing out the Drawabox stuff and going from there, someone pointed out that I will want to get started on the software ASAP, because there's a lot to it and there's different programs used for different things. My main concerns are 1) jumping into digital stuff too quick without a good foundation on fundamentals and 2) how do I get familiar with expensive programs without owning them? I was also told I would need to familiarize myself with Unity or Unreal game engine.

So, any kind of plan, or at least a jumping off point, would be very helpful.

Edit: here's a link discussing fundamentals, etc.

Replies

• Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Do you want to do 3D or 2D environment art?
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There are free student versions of Maya, Max, etc.  Use Google and specific relevant search terms.  You can also email Autodesk.  Blender is also free.

You don't need to get into game engines right now, not until you get some 3D art done and ready to present/render.

You can do both your fundamentals and non-fundmaental art at relatively the same time.

You're esentially looking for a basic, bare bones tutorial on how to make a game prop asset.
  • Taylor Brown
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Taylor Brown ngon master
  • Kossuth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kossuth node
    There are free student versions of Maya, Max, etc.  Use Google and specific relevant search terms.  You can also email Autodesk.  Blender is also free.

You don't need to get into game engines right now, not until you get some 3D art done and ready to present/render.

You can do both your fundamentals and non-fundmaental art at relatively the same time.

You're esentially looking for a basic, bare bones tutorial on how to make a game prop asset.
    Unfortunately, I don't have a student email/ID card. I'm 42 and not a current student. I did download the Unreal 4 engine and at least got familiar with importing an asset and applying materials to it. I really liked playing with the materials stuff, the drawing connections between a dialogue box with parameters to an aspect of the material was fun. I also goofed around with moving the lighting around and stuff like that just out of curiosity.

I downloaded Blender just now and guess I will experiment with that for awhile, I assumed most of the stuff out there would require 3D so that's what I started looking in to.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There are free noncommerical versions of Maya and max.  Use google to find the specific links.  Feel free to email their support if anything is too confusing.
  • Kossuth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kossuth node
    There are free noncommerical versions of Maya and max.  Use google to find the specific links.  Feel free to email their support if anything is too confusing.
    OK thanks. I see a free trial for Maya and a less expensive LT version but the free version is for students currently enrolled in a college. In any case something like Maya or Blender is where I should start, I assume? Then start pulling things into Unreal and just tinker with the features?
  • YF_Sticks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    YF_Sticks polycounter lvl 5
    Personally, I think you should start doing 3D as soon as possible. Just jump in when you have the chance. To get better at 3D, you need to do 3D. Create small environments which will improve your ability to create a good composition, lighting etc. It comes with practice. Also, create an Artstation and post your finished work there and post your work in progress on forums or join a Discord.
    If you can, to really cut your learning curve, get a mentor. Someone with experience who looks over your work critically can save you a lot of time and also your results will be better in a shorter amount of time. 
  • Taylor Brown
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Taylor Brown ngon master
    If you dig making materials in UE, look into Substance Designer. Allegorithmics's YouTube channel and Daniel Thiger's foundation tutorials are great places to start
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Kossuth
    You could always falsify the email.   Or pay a known college student to let you proxy off their email.
  • sacboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range

Also just something worth noting. Securing a ADSK student licence doesn't specify an industry computer graphics biased or other tertiary/academic course of study. For example I'm currently enrolled in an ongoing series of training modules for my current place of work in the private security sector:

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/customer-service/account-management/education-program/who-can-join 

(As a result have access too both Maya and 3ds Max via a student licence plus I'm on the wrong side of 50 myself :) )    

• RaptorCWS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RaptorCWS polycounter lvl 11
    unless its changed since i was in school (and it might have) autodesk will accept any email address for a student license. just dont try to sell your work with it. ( i think home school and other are even options for the school options). if you dont want to do that maya LT is pretty affordable.
  • Kossuth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kossuth node
    YF_Sticks said:
    Personally, I think you should start doing 3D as soon as possible. Just jump in when you have the chance. To get better at 3D, you need to do 3D. Create small environments which will improve your ability to create a good composition, lighting etc. It comes with practice. Also, create an Artstation and post your finished work there and post your work in progress on forums or join a Discord.
    If you can, to really cut your learning curve, get a mentor. Someone with experience who looks over your work critically can save you a lot of time and also your results will be better in a shorter amount of time. 
    Yeah, just kind of trying to figure out what to start with. Unreal is a bit slow but I am using a mediocre laptop so I guess that's to be expected. I thought a good idea would be to just try building an object (fbx format) in some program, then import it into UE and try applying different materials and play with the lighting. That won't mean I know what I'm doing, but at least it will get me familiar with the applications. After that I can worry about how badly I'm messing up whatever fundamental I'm butchering.

As for the mentor thing, probably going to be rough to pull off but I'll look in to it.
  • Meloncov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Meloncov greentooth
    Kossuth said:Unfortunately, I don't have a student email/ID card. I'm 42 and not a current student. 
    Do you live near a community college? Most likely you can sign up for a class (ideally one you actually want to take, but you could sign up then not actually go) and qualify for a .edu email address.
  • Kossuth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kossuth node
    If you dig making materials in UE, look into Substance Designer. Allegorithmics's YouTube channel and Daniel Thiger's foundation tutorials are great places to start
    Yep, I read that substance designer and painter I will need to be good with also. It looks like the main thing I need to focus on now is getting my hands on whatever version of Maya I can and maybe branch out into a game engine or substance after that. Thanks for the info.
  • Taylor Brown
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Taylor Brown ngon master
    Kossuth said:
    Yep, I read that substance designer and painter I will need to be good with also. It looks like the main thing I need to focus on now is getting my hands on whatever version of Maya I can and maybe branch out into a game engine or substance after that. Thanks for the info.
    My two cents, if you're just getting your feet wet I'd just recommend using Blender. It's free with no hassle. Plus all the gripes people have about UI wont really matter since it'll be all you know to begin with. That cgcookie site's curriculum is based solely around it and it is extremely noob friendly. Once you learn the foundations of 3D modeling you can take that into other software. The only thing that changes are hotkeys and whatnot, concepts stay the same. 

Hit me up if you ever have any questions. I'm no professional but I am happy to help point you in the right direction. I have a buttload of tutorials and resources saved up from my own journey.
  • Kossuth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kossuth node
    Kossuth said:
    My two cents, if you're just getting your feet wet I'd just recommend using Blender. It's free with no hassle. Plus all the gripes people have about UI wont really matter since it'll be all you know to begin with. That cgcookie site's curriculum is based solely around it and it is extremely noob friendly. Once you learn the foundations of 3D modeling you can take that into other software. The only thing that changes are hotkeys and whatnot, concepts stay the same. 

Hit me up if you ever have any questions. I'm no professional but I am happy to help point you in the right direction. I have a buttload of tutorials and resources saved up from my own journey.
    Cool, I actually downloaded blender a few days ago. I was just kind of centered on Maya because it seems to be pretty prominent and thought if I had to learn, might as well learn what everyone's using. I'll look at cgcookie this weekend, thanks for the help.
  • Taylor Brown
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Taylor Brown ngon master
    Maya and 3dsmax are pretty much the standards but, again, the fundamentals are software agnostic. Theres also a HUGE community based around blender with a lot of quality content on YouTube which also helps get your bearings.

Once you learn the basics of modeling, it takes a couple weeks max to apply them to a new program
  • Ex-Ray
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ex-Ray polycounter lvl 12
    You'll want to learn fundamentals and aesthetics all the time, once you have a better grasp of it you'll be more observant in real life and hopefully be making notes in your head as you notice details. You can supplement this with getting into photography later on too.

Running parallel with this learning, you'll want to start getting to know the software. Learn which ever 3D package you have access to, be it maya or blender, once again after you have a grasp of it you can transfer this knowledge and pivot to a different one. At the start you'll be learning the software, then you'll want to learn how to model, then you'll want to learn why you do this.

This is a good channel on pure modelling, even though it's in Modo it's still relevant:
    https://www.youtube.com/user/stammpe2

After modelling then look at UV's and texturing, introduce new software like Substance Painter/Quixel Suite, Marmoset3 etc.

Once you have a solid understanding of the above and are happy to take it to the next step, then look at UE4/Unity. Here you'll look at a host of new stuff, terrain, foliage, lighting, world building, materials etc.

There's a lot of stuff to learn but it should be fun and exciting, you'll want to 'learn how to walk before you can run' type of deal as it's very easy to get overwhelmed with all this stuff. Best to slowly level up.

Good luck :smile:
  • Kossuth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kossuth node
    Ex-Ray said:
    You'll want to learn fundamentals and aesthetics all the time, once you have a better grasp of it you'll be more observant in real life and hopefully be making notes in your head as you notice details. You can supplement this with getting into photography later on too.

Running parallel with this learning, you'll want to start getting to know the software. Learn which ever 3D package you have access to, be it maya or blender, once again after you have a grasp of it you can transfer this knowledge and pivot to a different one. At the start you'll be learning the software, then you'll want to learn how to model, then you'll want to learn why you do this.

This is a good channel on pure modelling, even though it's in Modo it's still relevant:
    https://www.youtube.com/user/stammpe2

After modelling then look at UV's and texturing, introduce new software like Substance Painter/Quixel Suite, Marmoset3 etc.

Once you have a solid understanding of the above and are happy to take it to the next step, then look at UE4/Unity. Here you'll look at a host of new stuff, terrain, foliage, lighting, world building, materials etc.

There's a lot of stuff to learn but it should be fun and exciting, you'll want to 'learn how to walk before you can run' type of deal as it's very easy to get overwhelmed with all this stuff. Best to slowly level up.

Good luck :smile:
    Thanks! From drawabox lessons I have gotten at least some rough grasp of perspective and form and construction. The latter is pretty important I think for 3D modeling because it conveys the idea of building things out of several different forms, rather than just drawing a bunch of lines to create a 2D image. My first learning project is to try and recreate a grandfather clock from a picture i downloaded. I'll try making the fbx file in blender. My idea was to then pull it into Unreal and put different materials onto the form and play with the lighting etc. I'll double-check the substance software pricing, since it sounds like I should learn how to use that before goofing around with Unreal. Curious though what the difference is between texturing in substance vs just applying a material in Unreal? More detail/flexibility/variety I'm guessing?
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Texturing is the literal painting of the texture maps.  Imagine painting on a bear skin rug to wrap it around a bear later.

Applying Materials in Unreal is jusut saying "This texture applies to this model, Unreal."  There's little to no painting involved.  Your texture painting drives the actual look.

Film modeling can get by with just applying materials to only certain objects, but game assets require textured UV map sets to be more efficient about rendering during real-time rendering in game engines.

Check the Polycount wiki for further explanations of terms you'll be encountering
    http://wiki.polycount.com/wiki/Polycount
  • Kossuth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kossuth node
    Thanks! I always see designer and painter mentioned together. Definitely seems like a program suite I will need to pick up.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Be careful.  Designer creates repeatable textures based off of node-based hypergraph scripting.  Painter is more like Photoshop.
  • Taylor Brown
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Taylor Brown ngon master
     Painter is more like Photoshop.

... in the 3rd dimension!

• poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter

Its good to hear you give a toss about the fundamentals of art - it's something thats often lacking.. 

I'd argue that the most important fundamental to study is composition. perspective is a tool for making things believable whereas composition is a tool for making things not look shit and I think we can all agree that's more important ;) 

It's probably wise to pick a path to investigate lest you get overwhelmed..

So... do you want to make worlds or props?

If its the former,  find some reference for a scene, dig into unreal, block things out using boxes, get your composition sorted and then start building shit in maya or whatever  that you can fill it up with. 
     The best way to learn is to complete a project and the best way to complete a project is to work in complete passes - going over the whole scene and building up the details layer by layer. 
    Something that might help get you started is to dig out publicly released level designs from old games (Eg. Counterstrike) and use them as a grey box that you can build something pretty upon. 
      These are usually free and legal to download, can be easily converted to a usable format and importantly are very simple in structure and usually not too large to tackle solo. 

If its the latter,  just follow some references and build some stuff in maya or whatever. Once you're comfortable making the shapes you want you can worry about how to turn it into game art and ask for specifics on here. 
  • Kossuth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kossuth node
    Will have to look into it with  my next paycheck, is it significantly better than whatever one can find on youtube or Lynda.com (I do have a Lynda.com subscription already).
  • Kossuth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kossuth node
    poopipe said:

Its good to hear you give a toss about the fundamentals of art - it's something thats often lacking.. 

I'd argue that the most important fundamental to study is composition. perspective is a tool for making things believable whereas composition is a tool for making things not look shit and I think we can all agree that's more important ;) 

It's probably wise to pick a path to investigate lest you get overwhelmed..

So... do you want to make worlds or props?

If its the former,  find some reference for a scene, dig into unreal, block things out using boxes, get your composition sorted and then start building shit in maya or whatever  that you can fill it up with. 
     The best way to learn is to complete a project and the best way to complete a project is to work in complete passes - going over the whole scene and building up the details layer by layer. 
    Something that might help get you started is to dig out publicly released level designs from old games (Eg. Counterstrike) and use them as a grey box that you can build something pretty upon. 
      These are usually free and legal to download, can be easily converted to a usable format and importantly are very simple in structure and usually not too large to tackle solo. 

If its the latter,  just follow some references and build some stuff in maya or whatever. Once you're comfortable making the shapes you want you can worry about how to turn it into game art and ask for specifics on here. 
    I read something awhile back that had a list of what you needed to learn to become a concept artist, and there was a variant for environmental artist. I just thought of it in terms of which would I like more, building really cool landscapes/environments, or characters/creatures? They both appeal in their own way, and there's some conceptual crossover, but I decided to go the environmental route. Didn't realize at the time how prop-heavy it is, but I think it will still be pretty cool. I don't remember the specifics, but in terms of skill set I seem to remember composition, form and construction, perspective, a couple other things I can't remember, then I believe it went into more painting oriented stuff like color theory and...i think maybe values or lighting (maybe both). Anyway good thing I asked, because I was assuming I'd have to be pretty good at drawing and painting before I should even bother starting with the software stuff. I can't get to Maya because I'm not an enrolled student, but I figure at least Blender will get me started.

As for props vs worlds, if I had to pick I would say worlds, but from what little I have read/watched, I would need to be able to do both.