Home Career & Education

General knowledge of all areas in AAA game studios?

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
Amank679 polycounter lvl 5
So, recently a recruiter visited my university and talked about how having the knowledge of your skill is great but having the general knowledge of all the other skills in the gaming industry is also a bonus.

I want to know, how much should we know in terms of general knowledge? 

For example, my area of focus is Environment Art but I'm not sure how much general knowledge of other parts of game dev is needed.

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• Ged
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    I don't think you need to be any kind of professional in the other parts of game development but a basic understanding of how the whole development process works is very very helpful. So for example even though you don't work as a producer you kind of know what a producer does with their day and what their function should be relative to you and your tasks. So knowing the answers to questions like - what is a producer for, how could they be helpful to me or me to them? when should I go speak to a game designer? etc etc. Some of this comes with experience but you can learn quite a bit about the industry just reading articles or listening to good podcasts etc.You might already have a decent grasp of some of these roles but some people coming out of uni might not.