Home Unity

Mini-games for a social networking website

polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
teafood polycounter lvl 2
I apologize if I am in the wrong section. I also want to point out that my terminology might be wrong but I did research as thoroughly as possible. 

I contacted this web developer asking if I could design mini-games for his beta avatar game/forum but I learned he only uses Html and Javascript. I glanced a bit what html games look like and just overall how it's formatted which is just pure code. That seems like a nightmare or exhausting to hand off art assets versus importing and arranging the game's interface myself in Unity. I've only touched some of Unity's 'javascript' and a little bit of C# but in no way am I qualified as a programmer. 

I took to Google, YouTube and the Unity Forums/Answers to try to get a general idea of how this would work. I got the basis that the game file needs to be uploaded to a host website (Itch.io, Game Jolt, Wooglie, Dropbox, etc)  and WebGL is only good for desktop, not mobile. A lot of the searches for uploading to a host website were aimed at personal websites than an avatar website. I don't know much about web development and how things work. 

I have a few questions/just me being confused:

1. These mini-games are meant for the users to win in-game currency and then buy clothing in shops in forum area (GaiaOnline basically). The web developer has 0 experience in Unity. Will that be something hard to implement when using free hosting websites or would this become a renting only area? I'm not sure if this an issue or not and it's just me being confused with programmer magic.

2. The website is both used by desktop and mobile users. Would building multiple game builds for each platform be heavy for the website? Would that be costly for the web developer? The social-networking game is meant more for desktop users and still wonky for mobile users (does not dissuade them). 

3. How would I word this clearly when looking for a programmer? I don't want to get too wordy yet I want to be specific. Please help me on that part.
---
My experience with Unity is only importing assets, lighting, shaders, UI and exporting builds. Anything more is an unfamiliar territory. 
Hopefully my questions/worries are not too dumb. 

Thanks for reading and your time. 
 Pin this post to the top of every page in the discussion.

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You can certainly use webgl on mobile. You just have to be careful about file sizes (speed of download) & performance issues (weaker hardware).

I don't know if Unity has good export of functionality or animation, but I do know you can use it to export textured 3d models in webgl formats (glTF is likely).

Free server should be fine, as long as you can upload the 2d and 3d content, and run JavaScript and HTML.

I suggest pairing with a programmer familiar with 3d web game dev. So you can focus on the art side, whole they help you integrate it all.
  • teafood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    teafood polycounter lvl 2
    @Eric Chadwick
    Thanks for your reply. 

Should I look into another game engine than Unity? It's just means learning a whole new interface which is time consuming. I only know Unity and Unreal. 

I also most likely would design 2D games before I plunged into 3D. In another forum I posted to, someone said it'd be futile as the web dev wouldn't have a clue how to implement or use Unity at all/C#. But with your answer, the web game dev would be that bridge integrate everything. Also thanks for clearing up with the webgl, I just always found everyone was hating on it and I was confused.