Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Need help - Texture planning

Hello,

This is obviously not another landscape, so I've been wondering whats the "standard" way of texturing this kind of asset.

A] Tileables - Didn't work well with wood log cap.
B] Unique texture set - Even at 4K it didn't work well with straps and other fine details.

Replies

• BramScrum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BramScrum polycounter lvl 5
    Use a tilable for the concrete on a separte material, and use another material for the unique parts like the cables. So split your mesh in 2 materials with 2 seperate texture maps
  • Maximum-Dev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BramScrum said:
    Use a tilable for the concrete on a separte material, and use another material for the unique parts like the cables. So split your mesh in 2 materials with 2 seperate texture maps
    Thanks for the reply.
    Tried packing the unique set, still, strap UV islands are too thin to have any fabric details in the texture.
    Is there no better approach?
    I'd like to avoid masking/detail mapping if possible.

• explodingSeed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    explodingSeed polycounter lvl 3
    Why do you need so much details for the sides of the straps? Wouldn't they be too small to be noticed?

Also, maybe unwrap your straps this way so they remain straight?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEVy38ufaKY
  • MrJar0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrJar0 polycounter lvl 2
    I ran into the same problem recently.
    Do you really need to have 3 individual pipes? Could you not just use the same UV Space for all 3 of them and just rotate them a bit? You never see more than 180° of surface. That way you get more space. Same goes for the wood and the straps. You could probably put a seam at the half point of the straps and see if you can maybe add some stuff to hide it behind.
    Obviously it depends on what you want to do with this model.
  • Maximum-Dev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrJar0 said:
    I ran into the same problem recently.
    Do you really need to have 3 individual pipes? Could you not just use the same UV Space for all 3 of them and just rotate them a bit? You never see more than 180° of surface. That way you get more space. Same goes for the wood and the straps. You could probably put a seam at the half point of the straps and see if you can maybe add some stuff to hide it behind.
    Obviously it depends on what you want to do with this model.

I wanted some dirt here and there so the pipe UVs had to be unique to avoid repetition. I went ahead and copied the wood and straps as you suggested.

Why do you need so much details for the sides of the straps? Wouldn't they be too small to be noticed?

Also, maybe unwrap your straps this way so they remain straight?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEVy38ufaKY 
    I was just afraid of bleeding issues when downsizing textures, due to how thin they were. I have split them from the middle and enlarged them much more now it's looking fine. :)

Here's the result so far. It's just for practice.
    My texturing and modeling has rusted so much obviously. :(