Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Please review my portfolio

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
Alexei9632 polycounter lvl 3
Hello everyone, i apologize in advance for my bad english, but i try to improve my level. I'm self-taught and working with 3d graphics above one year, specially with graphics for games and something similar, i have passion to this. I haven't friends who does something like that, so i want to ask you how my artworks looks. I understand  what i should learn more and harder, but I would like to know how you rate my skill level. So this is my portfolio on Artstation: http://www.artstation.com/alexei9632

Replies

• pmiller001
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pmiller001 greentooth
    Hey @Alexei9632
     Let me see iff I can help.  THe best advice I can give, which is also the advice I take myself, is that You need to find a quality bar, and get as close as possible to that. You like certain architectural renders? will try to make it look like the pros who do that. 
    You like the art from a specific game studio? Well get really close to that. 
    IN my opinion your works isnt terrible, YOu've just got a lot of room for improvement. 
    Most of your work looks quickly done, and unfinished. Before you post again, I'd either start a new project, or re work an old one. (the helmet might be good.) And get some feedback from the community. 
    In addition, I would say get rid of your Effects. Right now they're not very good, and it's potentially holding back the rest of your work. 

These two talks helped me a lot, and I would suggest watching them

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RcYAwP3YJ8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcJUpbfont8
  • Alexei9632
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @pmiller001 Thanks for your detailed feedback! But i have question, you said that helmet could be better, what do I need to change? Presentation or something in geometry?
  • pmiller001
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pmiller001 greentooth
    Well I said, You might want to re work the helmet. To me thats your strongest piece, but still needs to be finished. 
     Just the first few things I noticed about it. 
    -Your bakes are wobbly, and not crisp along the edges. Making everything look very soft, and not hard, like bronze or steel. (Not sure what this helmet is made out of, I assume bronze?)
    - The detail in the sculpt, on the top doesnt look super great in my opinion. I"d have to see reference, but Those little indentations, or marks at the top are much finer in detail, in any reference I'm finding. 
    -I"m also not understanding why you chose to have the "crosshatching" on the top suddenly change to horizontal. That doesnt make sense to me
    -its real wobbly over all, Could be your noise you've got goin on. 
    -That front is eroded funny. The part I circled. Why would that be eroded like that? I couldnt find any rference to match that. 

Right now it doesnt look like you're using reference. IF you are, then I would say you need to focus on detail a little harder or atleast show it so someone who knows a little somethin somethin lol, So they can help you. I am far from the best modeler on this site, so I'm just going to be able to tell you stuff thats been told to me
    I hope this helps dude! Make sure to get a second opinion too :) 
  • Alexei9632
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @pmiller001 Wow, it's very massive analysis of my work :) I started doing this model with reference which i attached to this message, but while i modeled, unfortunately moved away from initial image(
    I don't understand one your word, what does mean "wobbly"? My english is bad :(
  • pmiller001
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pmiller001 greentooth
    all good! "wobbly" in this instance, is similar to "muddy" or "Soft"

• Alexei9632
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @pmiller001 Thank you :) I'll fix all things about which you wrote to me)
  • FourtyNights
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FourtyNights polycounter
    Also, when modeling such a helmet, it's a good practise to have head underneath as a reference while creating it. To get proper proportions, shapes and look for it. Even though it's a hard surface piece, it's a character's accessory as well. So, it kinda needs a some sort of head during the modeling process.

I recommend either studying head anatomy and sculpting heads by yourself... or if you wish to focus being purely a prop/environment artist, check out this free reference model: https://www.3dgladiator.com/free-gladiator-3d-model/
  • Alexei9632
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @FourtyNights Thank you for useful link) I want to start learning anatomy, try to create my own character from scratch, but i haven't enough time for this yet :(
  • studio2a3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    studio2a3d polycounter lvl 5
    Good start.  The art will get better over time.  If you are looking for a job - include wireframes and unwraps.
  • Lou_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lou_ polycounter lvl 6
    One thing to do is look at recently hired people and check their portfolio. Then you can compare and see where you would want to improve. As visual people it is much easier to see difference than be told about it. 
  • Alexei9632
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @studio2a3dThanks for advice! Almost all of my artworks include marmoset viewer, there you can see wireframes) Do you think it is worth making separate screens with wireframes?