Home Technical Talk

Maya, averaged normals instead of FWN?

admin
Offline / Send Message
System admin
This discussion was created from comments split from: Face-Weighted Vertex Normals- Vid tut for beginners.

Replies

• norbyscook
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    norbyscook polycounter lvl 4
    Hey everyone, it seems that Maya defaults to face weighted normals.
    are there instances when one would use average normals? 
    - Thanks! 
  • norbyscook
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    norbyscook polycounter lvl 4
    Hey, guys, I tried it on my model to see what will happen, I am very noob and I got these artifacts lol. 
    is this method better than baking from a high poly? is this the new method people are using for game models now? is this faster than subd? Is this method good for more organic shapes? or is sub-d better for those things?

• pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    is this method better than baking from a high poly?
    Yes and no

is this the new method people are using for game models now?
    Yes and no

is this faster than subd?
    Yes and no

Is this method good for more organic shapes?
    Yes and no

or is sub-d better for those things?
    Yes and no

Basically ... to know how game models are made, just look up models from games in a style similar to what you want to do, and build your models similarly, or in an even cleaner/more optimized manner. I won't link anything here but these are extremely easy to find and will give you more information than any speculation would.

Now I know that it doesn't quite answer your questions but these questions are so remote of any context that trying to awnser them is a bit like trying to answer "how long is a piece of string" :)

Looking at other models may not reveal whether or not they used FWNs, but it will help you figure out things like the artifacts you are getting simply by observing how similar situations are handled in pro assets.