Home Career & Education

Vent: Art Contract rates in forum are getting ridiculous

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
LimitedSlipStudios polycounter lvl 4
do any experienced 3d artists in our community work for $10-15 USD/day creating “AAA quality” assets?  if so i’d love to talk!

Foxie Ventures keeps posting contract jobs that equate to the amount indicated above. It appears they are HQ’d out of Australia but I’ve been to Australia- no one could afford to live there for rates this low.

And to be fair, they aren’t the only ones- there are plenty of posts like these with unrealistic and/or unethical rates - but Foxie seems to be the most common offender.  I feel compelled to call out repeatedly bad behavior.  

And since we cant call them out in the freelance threads let’s do it here. 

Has anyone here ever worked with/for Foxie ventures?  

-   -   -

just to be clear 

this assess comes from my  15+ years working in the gaming industry as an artist, animator, designer in roles ranging from lead to director (and now owner of a small studio).  

so i know what production takes in terms of method, workflow, process, time and cost. even when comparing to the cheapest globally (places where you can find experienced artists willing to work for 80-120 USD per day like vietnam, south/central america or ukraine).  

But Foxie’s posted rates make me wonder if they don’t understand this. or if they are merely being mercenary and opportunistic jackwagons. 

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    We welcome discussion on this topic, thanks for starting the thread.

Link for context
    https://polycount.com/discussion/205533/paid-1350-dino-textures-aaa-quality

The moderation team's general opinion is:
    Polycount does not pass value judgements on job posters nor on job seekers. This is not our role, nor can it be. We do moderate obvious scams or spam. However it is ultimately up to each job seeker to evaluate each job offer, to decide if the terms match their particular needs. 

It's important to realize this forum has a global reach; rates are not the same everywhere. It is your responsibility as individual professionals to evaluate the client, and decide if their rate matches yours. 
    So, you're certainly free to debate dubious rates, but you're also free to ignore bullshit clients. ;)
  • LimitedSlipStudios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks for linking to topic

and understood- and if this problem was merely an infrequent outlier i’d be happy to abstain. 

but this undervaluing of art is becoming and more more proliferate and this forum poster is leading the pack. 

I understand that there are various rates globally, probably better than most. and there are no places I am aware of where a rate of $10-15 per day is attainable.  if there were, and they did good work and were numerous enough to make an impact the AAA publishers or groups like Keywords or Virtuous would snatch them up. 

Art is being undervalued,  All over the place. Globally.  Just google it- you’ll be reading for days.  If we don’t stay vigilant/verbal on our own behalf, who will??
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    The marketplace. It's simply capitalism, in all its seedy wonderousness.

Clients will learn thru experience when they get crap by paying crap rates.
  • LimitedSlipStudios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I hear you- but we’ve been saying that for 20 years now. rinse-repeat.  

But I think it more complex than what you state- It’s more of a cycle where companies/clients learn this lesson over time as they grow. then small upstarts enter the space, and the process repeats. 

But inasmuch as this is capitalism at work, we too are players in this- it’s not about what a client/employer will pay but rather what current standards contractor/employee are willing to work for. 

so again, honest question: are any 3d artists or 3d animators out there interested in a rate $10-15/day?
  • NikhilR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NikhilR polycounter
    I know a few artists here in Toronto that would do that and companies that would do it to them if they let them. Ontario has a 15$/hr minimum wage so most of these 10-15$/day "jobs" are part of unpaid internships (which is illegal, but a kind of grey area)

10-15$ usually means your employer might buy you a 5$ lunch and 5$ dinner.

Why someone would take such a "job" depends on a number of factors, their artistic background, the market and their motivation to accept such a rate.

Many do it in the hope that it might lead to a more permanent role and that has worked for some people. Canada also has a large immigrant population, most of these people have a really difficult time getting work because of work permit issues and a Labor market impact assessment that makes its challenging for employers to hire them outright.
        Not to say that hiring such an employee who is truly experienced and talented isn't possible, but then again not everyone is similarly skilled and justifying that to the labor department of the government isn't easy.
       So an internship might seem lucrative to them.

Sometimes its part of revenue share when the project is gold and makes profit. So a sort of entrepreneurial commitment between a group of artists rather than a job, everyone has a fair stake in the outcome and an equal amount of risk.
    But this is a revenue share arrangement.

Overall I don't know of any genuinely skilled and truly talented artists that would take such a rate for a job where their only gain is 10-15$/day.
    I mean if they lived in a place with lower cost of living, their rates would be lower by comparison but they clearly know their worth. It would definitely be higher than this given the work involved and time spent.
    And if they haven't gotten the job that is truly worthy of their time and effort, they keep making art.
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    I'd take to crime before doing any actual work for $10 a day. You'd have to be seriously naive to work that cheap in a skilled profession.
  • LimitedSlipStudios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @BIGTIMEMASTER

lol- maybe not crime but definitely something that doesn’t require years of commitment to growing skills & a body of work.  
  • Ryusaki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryusaki greentooth
    12€ was discussed as an minimum wage for workers in Germany. PER HOUR.
    Doesn't mean that there aren't backdoors and shady business practices around which makes it possible to undercut this further, but basically a cashier at a supermarket for example gets much more money per day than what these guys are offering.
    Its a bloody shame that this is allowed. :/

• JunkieKong
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JunkieKong interpolator
    It's a bummer how often you see this stuff, especially in this case if they are Australian. I'm an Aussie and I'd never consider those rates, it's so far from minimum wage that this could only be doable if you live in the third world. Usually wages are quite high in Australia (I think the average is around 70k AUD per year), but for some reason when it comes to games it's still a race to the bottom. I've seen some of their other job posts too, $11 per AAA hand-painted texture? Git fucked.
  • Andreicus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreicus polycounter lvl 6
    Well... In Italy the medium salary after taxes of an employed worker is 8 € per hour... 
  • LimitedSlipStudios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Andreicus
    8 euros per hour is more than 10USD per hor

these guys were looking to pay that per day, not per hour. 

@JunkieKong : i agree that they are not australia based as they claim. they are likely in malaysia, thailand, taiwan or vietnam, or similar.  But a big part of being counted in this industry is being legit/accountable.  We are seeing this more and more - individuals or int’l startup studios with no bkg/history

then a client loses a bundle or their IP gets leaked- or a vendor doesn’t get paid.  What did they expect?!?  there is no replacement for reputation. 
  • LimitedSlipStudios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oh look

foxie studios flagged my company account here as ‘abuse’. 

nicely played, is that all you got?  do better, because i sure will. 
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Hmm. Well, I've reset those flags since none of the posts seemed abusive. However, they were flagged by gmax5 who doesn't appear to be affiliated with foxie. Are you sure there's a connection?
  • LimitedSlipStudios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i saw it was grace5 who is affiliated with GreatDictator (who invited gmax5) but has 0 visits who is affiliated... etc

i’m not 100% sure but it looks like it. im not going to waste my time digging further. bigger fish to fry in the real world ;)

saw your LI post the other day. looks like you have some cool stuff going on- congrats!
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Thanks!

Hmm, can't find a user by the name of grace5.
  • LimitedSlipStudios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i meant gmax5 (autocorrect fail)
  • oglu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    I hear you- but we’ve been saying that for 20 years now. rinse-repeat.  

We have that same goin on for 5000 years in the building industry. Thats how it will be forever.
  • LimitedSlipStudios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @oglu

haha!  fair enough 😄

but even in construction / building, rule of law applies in the USA and many other countries. And those who abuse it, or short the process in quality to save on cost, will get what they pay for. in terms of reputation, future profit and public good will. 
  • kat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kat polycounter lvl 17
    @LimitedSlipStudios whilst the grievances is valid keep in mind experienced content creators in North America/Western Europe are generally NOT the intended demographic for jobs postings like that, individuals in regions with inflated currencies are - their being based in AU likely means they are targeting the Pacific region where USD/AUD conversion rates mean getting greater 'value' whilst still being able to get "AAA" quality work. There isn't a simple fix for this because the problem fundamentally revolves about currency, not work/labor value. Unions and/or Federal involvement (trade tariffs etc.) doesn't necessarily solve the problem either.
  • LimitedSlipStudios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @kat

if all was straightforward as you describe i would agree. but it was not.

the rate/fee was posted in USD, not ant other currency. last i checked the AU has their own currency.  so the poster did intend it (whether objectively or subjectively) for western audience. and even if the intended mark was EU the rate was still far below any indie rates. even CZ, SP and Eastern EU rates are higher. 

additionally i’ve lived in the AU. and i can say the exchange rate is not significant enough to merit the difference (or low rate) if in fact the company was based in the AU (which I assure you they are not). 

great discussion though. 
  • kat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kat polycounter lvl 17
    I think you're misunderstanding the point...USD's are the de facto global currency most, if not all (at least in this context), will know the relative value of (USD value vs local currency value). In other words USD's are not used to target USA or Western European regions/citizens but instead simply act to indicate relative value, an easily translatable marker that everyone understands (cf. aforementioned point), anyone able to accept USD (which will be most regions of the world).

Publishing a low rate in USD makes that very point in fact, the poster, or people/parties doing that, do so knowing they get better value for their money with respondents from Indonesia than USA (for example). So the problem you're identifying is not one of work quality (goodness knows that's not the case looking at the front page!), its relative value issue, one determined as it is by huge currency discrepancies/much weaker currencies.

The only way to address the issue is to even the spread so there isn't such a huge disparity between currencies due to suppression/market controls and inflation. That is a very big problem to solve.

[edit to add] this is not to say your point is invalid, or that you are being disagreed with, rather to highlight the situation being a lot more complicated than we generally think it is.
  • LimitedSlipStudios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @kat

just saw this post. sorry i never followed up. 

Everything you point put is relevant. for sure. And thank you for a very thoughtful response/engagement 

In closing, it all boils down to this: everything in life really is simple. ‘This’ included. It is People  who make it complicated. 

thanks again. 
  • fdfxd2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fdfxd2 interpolator
    Alex_J said:
    I'd take to crime before doing any actual work for $10 a day. You'd have to be seriously naive to work that cheap in a skilled profession.
    Edit:
    Whoops, somehow misread $10/d as $10/h

Yeah $10/day is absolutely insane and unreasonable, not even people in the third world would work that amount.

• Poppa_Squats
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I would still argue for some type of collective agreement between working artists to keep wages high. If there is a way to create a hub where all reputable businesses must make a "request for talent", and then a queue system for artists within that group to be given work so that the work is spread evenly, we could see higher wages because the entire group of workers have bargaining power. 

Of course, this would break down quickly once that one guy decides to undercut and work for $5 dollars an hour cheaper than the collective. That is where government ordinance would need to come into play. And with the way workers rights have been going, that certainly wouldnt end well.

And then there us also the problem of artistic discipline. The type of art a person asks for can be anything from 3d environments to stop motion using only band aids and balloons. How do we "fairly" distribute work that is requested from our collective agency?

BUT, and here is the clincher: Actors in the film industry are successfully doing this. They have a guild / union that enforces a wage floor and other health and safety requirements. You've got all types of talent, skill, and appearances in acting. If they can do it, why can't we??

In my opinion, its because no one has the cajones or the resources to pull it off. You need mettle, money, and buy in from a large group of artists. I've never met someone with even a single one of those.
  • LimitedSlipStudios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Poppa_Squats - umm...

a consortium- you mean like a studio? there are some that went this route successfully but they had to get massive and distributed with Asian labor to pull it off (keywords, virtuos. Massive, Liquid)

then uou say you want government sanctioned regulation or unionization ?!?
    name one effing branch of government anywhere that did anything well. and as for unions, they sure did a bang up job of stopping the race to offshore/outsource and the race to the bottom of commodity pricing. 

I’ll admit I dont have the answer to these issues- but what you propose didnt work in the 80’s, and they wont work now. 
  • Ashervisalis
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    @LimitedSlipStudios The Canadian gov't did a pretty good job of preventing offshore art jobs. Studios here get a tax break for hiring Canadians, and thus studios are thriving up here. There have been some studios which have closed in the states just to get the giant tax break to reopen up here.
  • LimitedSlipStudios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Ashervisalis
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    @LimitedSlipStudios You asked to name one branch of government that did anything well. I'm replying that the BC provincial government did just that.

Film and Television Tax Credit
    "Production corporations can claim a basic amount of 28% of labour costs incurred in BC, with additional incentives for productions that occur outside of the lower mainland and for digital animation, visual effects and post-production."

The studio I personally work at started in LA but ultimately ended up opening up their production studio in Vancouver for this very reason. I spoke with another Japanese company which was opening a studio here 2 years ago for this very reason.
  • LimitedSlipStudios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

I say your claim that it did well is Anecdotal- as the net result over time is still TBD. 

Though in your expressed case it arguably upped the retention (In my opinion it merely clawed back what it lost in the last 2 decades, though much is now under foreign backed/owned investment) one still has to consider the offset of this when compared to the taxes NOT collected, against the cost incurred for this Subsidized Incentive (and the fact that foreign owned/backed will see the profits go to those foreign countries banks, not Canada's)... meaning that in the long run the cost of this will be incurred by the taxpayers (nothing is truly free).  history says that for the long run, the net result of arrangements like this will be a loss for the economy. 

Regardless, this is not what I started this thread about.  You are coming at it from a Worker/Employment POV.  My post was illustrating potential clients and their expectation of a $10/manday for professional level work.  What you describe has no Impact on this- or very little at best.

• Ashervisalis
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Fair point about me being off topic. Sorry to derail.
  • LimitedSlipStudios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fair point about me being off topic. Sorry to derail.

No Worries-  although your topic appears one we wont agree on, its interesting and so possibly worth discussing.  But it just doesn't answer my question about the RIDICULOUS clients' budget expectations: what are they based on ????  (which is really just me venting into a scream hole).