Home Career & Education

Self Teaching Journey

Hi everyone!

This is my first post on Polycount and if you have time I would really appreciate it if you read my first post.

I could use strong community feedback of experienced game designers and artists in the next coming weeks.

I was a 3D artist at an Advertising Firm where I used Cinema 4D and Octane Render Engine to do Experiential Design.  I soon began to realize this was very similar to Environment art in Video Games.  Environment art became way more appealing to me and last month I decided to quit my job!  I have decided to go for a job in the Video game industry as either a Jr. prop artist or Jr. environment artist.

All my new free time is being put toward learning the following programs:
 3DS MAX / ZBRUSH / UNREAL ENGINE / SUBSTANCE PAINTER & DESIGNER

My game plan is to learn to model and sculpt assets in 3DS Max and Zbrush and then learn how to texture them using either Photoshop and Substance Painter and Designer and finally use all of these assets to create environments in Unreal Engine.  This will require patience and dedication but I am extremely confident in my artistic abilities and my willpower to learn.

I plan on posting my progress as well as process to learning.  I want to have daily posts and proof of my learning and progress to share with you all.  (I will post those in a more appropriate section of the forums.)

I am posting here to ask you to help/critique my learning of industry standards and give me feedback during this process.  I currently have no income and am really putting my balls on the chopping block with this move.  

Please take a look at my current website to give you an example of my starting knowledge and experience with 3D Assets and skills.

Website = https://georgie.run/

Please let me know what you think of this move and what advice you have for me.

Thank you All and I look forward to working with you.

Replies

• carvuliero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    carvuliero hero character
    If you know how to model and UV in Cinema 4D don't bother learning Max at this moment better learn how convert regular object to a fully texture game object that look good inside a game engine , then go back and learn any extra program you want
  • Georgie_Run
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you know how to model and UV in Cinema 4D don't bother learning Max at this moment better learn how convert regular object to a fully texture game object that look good inside a game engine , then go back and learn any extra program you want
    I already started learning 3DS Max :smile:

I am glad I did though I have only been working in it for a week and It already makes Cinema 4D look like a man that drinks warm milk before it goes to bed.

I agree with you though I think my weaker point is texturing for a game engine at this point.

I will follow an unwrap and texture tutorial from the Champfer zone.  this seems to be a good starting point.  Hopefully with all my preexisting knowledge I can get good results in a short time.

Thanks for your input! :smiley:
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    I thought a glass of warm milk each night is what made me so vigorously manly? Maybe it's the bubble bath. 

Anyway, good luck on your journey! I find that posting my progress -- whether or not anybody is looking at it -- helps me be a tougher critic on myself. If I feel like other people may be looking, I am more willing to take the extra time to do things properly, rather than giving in to laziness.
  • Georgie_Run
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I thought a glass of warm milk each night is what made me so vigorously manly? Maybe it's the bubble bath. 

Anyway, good luck on your journey! I find that posting my progress -- whether or not anybody is looking at it -- helps me be a tougher critic on myself. If I feel like other people may be looking, I am more willing to take the extra time to do things properly, rather than giving in to laziness.
    Thank you friend!  Good luck to you as well! Yes I find it also holds myself accountable.