Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Spheredroid

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
CybranM interpolator
I saw this concept by Eugene Gottsnake on an old monthly environment art challenge and decided to make my own version.

I tried using Modo's mesh fusion system for most of the head which worked great for the HP and its textured in substance painter.

Feedback is very welcome :smiley:

Edit: fixed the metal material, new images

Replies

• CanberkYucekok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CanberkYucekok polycounter lvl 4
    Hi, i really liked your model, i think you made a really good job there. The thing most that strikes me is red writings on the module seems over saturated compared to the other parts, overall model looks more matte compared to the red writings on it, it looks as if it recieves different light from somewhere else. But then when i checked your reference concept, it seem to me that writings were okay, but the main body needs to be more metallic to match the reference. Good job bud :))
  • CybranM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CybranM interpolator
    @CanberkYucekok Sorry for not getting back to you sooner, I appreciate the detailed reply and honest feedback :smile:
    I changed the colour a bit on the triangle but it might still be a bit too de-saturated as you pointed out.

I also changed the pose to be closer to the concept but it isnt identical, it looked off when I tried it in 3d.

I've learnt a lot during this project, especially rendering in Marmoset and rigging in Modo. The rigging was probably the thing that was the most confusing, I dont think the rig is very good but its serviceable for posing the model.

These images and a few more are up on my Artstation :smiley:
  • Niknesh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Niknesh polycounter lvl 10
    I think you really nailed the concept and the overall shapes, great job!

But the material is too clean, you can't really tell the difference what is what because it's an almost universal roughness value for all of the objects. The head itself doesn't look metallic, which is strange, did you check the values in SP?
    I'd work more on the materials, I think you can make them way, way better. Like, killer better. You already did a stellar job on the model, don't stop there.
  • CybranM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CybranM interpolator
    @Niknesh Thanks for the feedback!
    Both you and CanberkYucekok said the same thing about the body not being metallic. I read the concept as as metal with a thin layer of paint on-top, I'm guessing you think of it more as anodized aluminium?
    I changed the shell to be anodized aluminium with a relatively light colour and rendered it:

Is this closer to what you thought the concept was trying to convey?

The emissive details are really hard to do justice in marmoset since there isnt any "glow" effect and I'm not experienced enough with faking it. I'm having a hard time improving the rest of the materials, I can add more discolouration to the metals but it starts to look really weird. The concept seems pretty clean and Id assume a robot working with data ports would be in a clean environment.