Home General Discussion

Oculus Quest

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
serriffe polycounter lvl 9
Anyone excited to develop for Oculus Quest? I tried the Superhot game on it and it was amazing. I was able to walk around without wires tethered to me and the tracking was great! 

As for pipeline, seems like the pipeline is similar to mobile devices. I went to a dev talk pipeline for Oculus Quest and they took an existing 700k poly environment and optimized it to 70k and it almost looked identical. I think they got something here. 

www.pcmag.com/news/364030/oculus-quest-hands-on-a-fun-vr-escape-but-watch-out-for-wa%3famp=1

Replies

• zachagreg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zachagreg ngon master
    It looks promising but without seeing specs or benchmarks for it yet I'm keeping my excitement down. I love the ease of use that it appears to be bringing to the table but my thinking right now is that it just may not be powerful enough to really mean anything. At least to me, since I've already got a VR headset
  • serriffe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zachagreg said:
    It looks promising but without seeing specs or benchmarks for it yet I'm keeping my excitement down. I love the ease of use that it appears to be bringing to the table but my thinking right now is that it just may not be powerful enough to really mean anything. At least to me, since I've already got a VR headset
    Oculus Quest seems to be using Qualcomm's Snapdragon 835 ( found in Gizomodo )
    A bit better specs than Samsung S8 phone. I think I can safely that the pipeline will be similar for mobile games. 
  • jStins
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jStins interpolator
    The big selling point here is un-tethered room scale VR with 6-DOF head and hand tracking, not graphics power. Not bad considering the $400 price point. 
  • serriffe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jStins said:
    The big selling point here is un-tethered room scale VR with 6-DOF head and hand tracking, not graphics power. Not bad considering the $400 price point. 
    I agree, when I was trying out the Oculus Quest playing SuperHot, I had to remind myself constantly that there are real walls around the 25x25 foot space and there are virtual grids to remind you if you are close enough to the real walls.

That freedom from wires is the biggest selling point and 6dof no extra sensors and to add, you can take it anywhere! 

Though, as an environment artist my self, you always want the best graphics in your platform. But I don't mind the chalenge. 
  • Gaurav Mathur
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gaurav Mathur polycounter lvl 12
    Untethered 6DOF is liberating and wonderful!  John Carmack's description (at Oculus Connect 5) of what's capable on the Snapdragon 835 left me wishing we were a chipset ahead this generation, on the Snapdragon 845.  But more than anything, the limiting factor these days appears to be devkits.  As far as I know, there aren't a lot of Oculus Quest devkits out there in the world, and the HTC Vive Focus hasn't launched in the US.
  • serriffe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It also depends if Oculus, Epic and Unity starts fully enabling Vulkan API into the Oculus Quest pipeline. I believe once this integration is successful- it will open a lot of interesting capabilities as it was promised by the Khronos group- 

I also believe the future of gaming platforms ( which already is )  and VR gaming will be mobile pipeline.  John Carmack did say that there's a certain great value of handing someone a VR demo instantly without doing any complex set up. ( This was when Gear VR just first came out )