Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Dead Robot - Cobert 3D Model

node
Hello everyone, My name is Michael (and im new to Polycount)
This year has been incredible for learning and expanding my skills. One of the programs i picked up this year is Substance Painter, which i'v had a lot of practice in lately. I wanted to put my knowlage forward with a small 3D model of a robot. This robot has actually been in my head for over a year now, it's something i'v always wanted to explore visually so i'm proud of how it came out.
Modeled in 3DSmax, Textured in Substance Painter.

Any feedback or thoughts would be much appreciated!

Replies

• PeterK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PeterK greentooth
    Hi Michael, Thanks for posting. hopefully my feedback can help you improve your work and give you some ideas.

1) There is a scale mismatch on the bar-code and the barrel which confuses the scale of the overall object. Is it the size of a barrel, or tiny enough that a bar-code would be that big on it? I certainly can't tell.  Is that even a barrel, or a soda/tin can?

2) On the robot, is the part with the magnet coming out of it the head? Or is that smaller part dangling above that the head? if the head is the smaller part craned backwards, then you need to change the "body" because it he "body" also looks like a face.

3) The materials don't show any differentiation, they all seem flat.

4) The dent in the can/barrel goes from one side to the other. Basically it looks like you just grabbed the edge from the top vertex to the bottom and moved it inward to make a dent across the entire surface. Unless that barrel/can was hit by a bar across that entire side, it would not dent like that. That robot thing certainly would not cause a uniform dent across that entire surface.

Basically mate, I have no idea what the hell you're trying to show me here because you have too many items at cross purpose with each other.

I'm glad you're working hard to improve, and I hope you'll focus in some telling a more clear story with the overall item.

Thanks for sharing.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    What IS this?  Is this from your imagination?
  • atomicpang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    atomicpang node
    Thanks for the feedback PeterK!

To adress some of your questions, 
    - The 'Barrel' is actually a can (I was going for a sort of old baked beans type can). I can see why the scale might be confusing though, the robot itself is suppose to be very tiny, roughly the size of a small toy figure. 

- The robots head is the top part leaning back (with the yellow eyes and holes for the mouth). To explain it a little bit since i didn't mention it well enough in the first post, the robot design was something i had in my head about a year ago and sketched out. Well the other day i found that sketch and wanted to try to bring it to life in 3D, more so focusing on the material side of things since the rough rustic look of the scene was an interesting challenge that i didn't normally get to work on in my other work. If i were using the robot for something more serious i'd consider designing it more appropriately for sure, especially with what you said about the body looking like a face, very valid.

- As for the materials looking flat, im not sure if that was due to the renders i made (since it was actually my first time setting up renders like this in substance). If you look at just normal screenshots up close you can see there's a lot more shine and detail. (but if you think they still look flat, i'd love to hear how i should go about improving them!) 

Thank you for the feedback, it's absolutely something i'll keep in mind next time. (And yes Brian, this design is from my weird imagination hehe!)
  • priderice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    priderice triangle
    The first four Pictures are "Trademarked" by you. In my opinion, generally Trademarking or Copyrighting your Works with are Watermark or Signature should be very subtle or better left out. Your Logo is big and is distracting from your Work. 

As for your Dead Robot, I like the thin Leg cables, rusty look and the Robot Oil Blood.
  • atomicpang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    atomicpang node
    Thank you! And yeah i agree, i'll keep the name/logo much smaller/subtle next time. 
    I really like how the cables came out, especially the right foot drooping down more and falling off. Its an interesting effect. Thanks for the feedback!
  • Brian "Panda" Choi