Home 2D Art Showcase & Critiques

GAME OF THREE KINGDOMS -- my first solo-dev project :)

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
Zephir62 polycounter lvl 12

Hey there,

This is my first project as a solo-dev. I've been kicking it around in my spare time for the last 6 months, and I feel it's at a point where I'm ready to share some of the artwork I've created for it. I'll be updating this thread as I produce more awesome artwork -- but,

Before getting into the artwork, I would like to describe what the game is about:

Game of Three Kingdoms is a swiping Narrative-Adventure RPG, where you play three separate storylines set within the same world. 

The three different protagonists affect eachother, with over a dozen potential endings.

Experience a never-before-seen style of gameplay that explores deep story-telling within Tinder swiping mechanics. Inspired by Undertale & Reigns - and filled with dank memes.

Once upon a time... There was the Tree of Life.

Bearing fruit only once, the time is ripe.

Who stands to prosper by taking the Fruit of Life?

• The Ruler of Hearts, whose family has protected the Tree of Life for generations.
  • The Lord of the Wastes, whose struggle to survive has lead to desperation.
  • The Prince of the Forest, whose only hope is the Fruit of Life, to lift a deadly curse.

In a world where monsters rule, swipe your controller to choose between words or swords.

Gameplay consists of:

• Swiping in 3 potential directions to choose your actions.
  • Slaying opponents with swords, or sparing eachother using Wit and Charisma.
  • Minigames, including Bullet-Hell which determine the outcome of combat damage.
  • Three interwoven storylines with a Dozen different potential Endings.
  • Impactful choices that affect your other hero storylines.
  • Weather System.
  • Lush colors, Retro artwork, Engaging monster-characters and Soundtrack.
  • Single-Player, but loads of Memes to keep you company.
  • Available for Android, iPhone, PC, and Apple

The gameplay combines elements from ReignsBroken Age, and Undertale.

Lush colors and quirky characters are inspired by South Park, Super Nintendo, and memeology. Accompanied by a gorgeous soundtrack, which blends dramatic jazzy piano inspired by Joe Hisashi from Studio Ghibli, alongside emotional cello orchestras as heard in Game of Thrones.

Matt Olick, known as Retrotation, is the sole creator, producer, and developer. He has worked under roles of programmer, artist, sound engineer, and designer for notable and award-winning indie games including: 

• Clone Drone in the Danger Zone
  • Pirates Vikings and Knights
  • Starbound

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1xr2cdP7Q8

Kickstarter coming soon, on October 15.

Subscribe to the Mailing List to playtest the beta, when available: http://www.go3kingdoms.com/

Stay tuned and follow me on...

Twitter:  https://twitter.com/retrotation

Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/Go3Kingdoms

Replies

• Zephir62
    Offline / Send Message
    Greetings y'all,

What's better than cracking open a cold one with the boys? Well, cracking open my game and digging in', of course. 

But when a chair comes flying, you know something serious is about to go down!

Today I'm presenting an update involving the Hypogriff at the Village Pub. He's a total hypocrite, which you will explore more in-depth within the actual game demo. He also talks like a Squanch from Rick and Morty. 

While love is the theme of the game -- love is a drug for this birdman. He can't get enough of Garlic Bread, and won't stop at no. 

Unfortunately for you, if you want to resolve this bar fight diplomatically, you gotta be Hypogriff's wingman and help get him a piece of that fine buttered bread.

I've had a ton of fun putting this monster together, and there's more in store with him. Next I will be showing off some of his potential death sequences (if you're a genocidal maniac), or perhaps reveal one of the key monsters that re-occurs through quests in the story. I suppose I have to make a choice, aye?

---

Stay tuned, coming soon!

What monster do you identify with the most in mythology??? 
    Do you have a favorite monster? 

Write a reply below!
  • Zephir62
    Offline / Send Message
    Good afternoon Gamers,

I've revised a number of content in my game after comments I've recently received.

The logo has been altered to further differentiate it from other brands. You can see below some other variations I tried over the last day:

Other characters I edited, were the Ogre and the Hypogriff. The Ogre, being an outcast living on the field, was well-described as a farmer in overalls -- while the hypogriff, being addicted to Garlic Bread like a drug, was best portrayed as a punk: 

The trailer has been revised on multiple counts, including reflecting the above changes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1xr2cdP7Q8

---

We've also started a Facebook Group for the game, and it's growing fast! We got over 1,500 members in the last 48 hours with over 1,000 comments per day, and counting  Kiss  Kiss  Kiss

Join in the Fun!! Click here to discuss about games and A Game of Three Kingdoms!

Do you want to see other things changed with the game?

Write a reply below!