Home Technical Talk

Help understanding appropriate poly counts for current-next gen game assets.

Jkuskows86
polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
Jkuskows86 polycounter lvl 4
I've been involved with 3D for about 6 to 7 years now. Including school time and production with Arch Viz and that kind of stuff. I started off learning game design and now am wanting to revisit and pursue it entirely. I have working knowledge in Unreal and all of the appropriate software. I'm just wanting to know what are good poly counts, texture sizes for small to large objects and good ideas of things to make for my new portfolio. I am pursuing an environment artist position and or prop modeling or in those veins somewhere.

If I know what would be great to make for my portfolio, I could make it. I have the time to and really am in bit of a designers block. I have hundreds of reference images and concept art, but just can't decide. I want to make sure the time I spend investing in this new portfolio, won't be wasted. My current portfolio isn't the most impressive, but I believe I can do this, just need some direction. 

Other questions I should ask is, should I rely  heavily on Substance Designer, still figuring that one out.? I've managed just fine with high poly low poly bakes, photoshop and primarily substance painter. My experience with V-Ray and that workflow, has definitely pushed my skill set and I believe will transfer over to game. I'll link my portfolio, once again, not that impressive. It will be removed once I have new work to post and I think I'll just stick with Artstation for my posts. 

https://joshuakuskowski.wordpress.com/

Thanks for any feedback and help!

Replies