Home General Discussion

Capcom Shuts Down Vancouver Studio Resulting In Over 150 Layoffs

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Blond polycounter lvl 9
A shame. Hopefully, most of the artists will succesfully relocate themselves in no time. 

And by the article, it seems a variety of artists are looking their way into another studios.

There's a variety of opportunity here in Montreal but I wonder how broad the options are in Vancouver...

Over 150 people at the studio were told on Tuesday that they were being laid off. The affected staff are expected to receive severance packages.

Capcom Game Studio Vancouver, founded in 2005, had primarily focused on producing the open-world survival horror game franchise Dead Rising.

https://www.cartoonbrew.com/business/capcom-shuts-down-vancouver-studio-resulting-in-over-150-layoffs-164294.html

Replies

• JordanN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    Vancouver is a super expensive city to live in though. It would suck to give up your real estate. 
  • Ashervisalis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    Oh man, I feel as though I'm going to need to leave Vancouver to get a role now. According to the article, due to Vancouver closing, Capcom is losing $40 million USD from the termination of their projects. On the other hand, Capcom is having a great financial year. Maybe Zombie games aren't pulling in as much as they used to?

Best of luck finding new jobs.
  • garcellano
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    garcellano greentooth
    Damn  :'(
    Yeah they were one of the big-name studios there. I thought it was cool that they would sometimes hold a mixer at their studio. I literally took the BoltBus up there, back in 2015, must've been during Halloween, because of the Dead Rising games. (Side note: A recruiter there contacted me last year, like just a month after I joined Hardsuit Labs, for a position there at Capcom Vancouver. It would've been cool to work there, but wouldn't expect to see this happen  :( )
    Hope the devs there land somewhere else. 
  • NikhilR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NikhilR polycounter
    JordanN said:
    Vancouver is a super expensive city to live in though. It would suck to give up your real estate. 
    If any of them actually owned any property there.
  • sprunghunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    NikhilR said:
    JordanN said:
    If any of them actually owned any property there.
    Even if you owned property you can always rent it to someone else. Especially in a real estate market that's so expensive you can rent it for significantly more than the monthly payments on the mortgage. 
  • Ashervisalis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Even if you owned property you can always rent it to someone else. Especially in a real estate market that's so expensive you can rent it for significantly more than the monthly payments on the mortgage. 
    Barely, I'd have to say. House/land prices are insane here, your mortgage payments are going to be sky high. It would be easy to find renters though; you have the pick of the litter.
  • CreativeSheep
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CreativeSheep polycounter lvl 8
    Housing Bubbles, among other things.
  • Violet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Violet polycounter lvl 9
    Some will find employment fairly straight away, this always happens, but unfortunately most of the staff won't for a long while.
    The only ones that benefit are the recruitment agencies building up their database with numbers.
  • CreativeSheep
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CreativeSheep polycounter lvl 8
    Honestly your better off finding work in the US then Canada.  It's not to say you can't get work in Canada but you may only have a two or three year contract then be forced to find new work again.  In the US, many are getting long term positions whereas they are employed 5+ years.  This is much easier to settle down for a while, then on edge in two or three years. Canada is all to famous for Temp \ Part-Time \ Precarious work.
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    I heard that in Canada unpaid interns who don't make the cut get cast off cliffs. Also Trudeau is a vampire and he's 1,000 years old.
  • Ashervisalis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @BIGTIMEMASTER You need to get your facts straight; He's 10,000 years old.
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter

Thanks for getting those facts all tickety-boo

• sacboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range
    Nah...I heard he's a Lycan.