Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[UE4] Handpainted environment - Travellers rest site

Hey Polycount! This is my latest UE4 project - I've been working on it on and off since early June, but I'm getting a little burnt out on it and could use some fresh eyes to give any helpful feedback you can offer. I'm happy to call it finished for now, take a break and then go back and retouch any areas I need to.

The idea behind it is that it's a resting place for travellers at a site considered sacred/spiritual due to the weird blue glowy pools; most of the textures were made by sculpting in Zbrush, baking normals in Substance Painter, then using Quixel Ndo to create additional maps plus a bunch of handpainting in Photoshop. A bit of an old fashioned workflow but it did the job.

The main issue I have when I look back over these renders is, the artstyle feels sort of... bland? It's more or less what I was aiming for, it's handpainted and stylized, sure, but somehow it's not as pleasant to look at as, say, Blizzard's art or Life is Strange's lovely painterly artstyle. Maybe I've just been looking at it for too long. I also feel like the lighting and post process could use some tweaks, but I can't nail down why it feels off.

Like I said, I'm mostly happy with this scene, but if anyone has any pointers for stuff I've missed or things I could polish up a bit further I'd really appreciate it!

Hi-res renders and a few breakdown images on the artstation page (I'll be adding more breakdown stuff here over the next few days): https://serenah_art.artstation.com/projects/AJO3z