Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Portfolio Review

DavidQ
node
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
DavidQ node
Trying to get a job in the industry and looking for feedback on my portfolio.
I have a Bachelor's in video game art, I decided that animation will be my disciple of choice.
It would be a huge help to gain more insight on what I should work on.
Thanks everyone.

Replies

• Taylor Brown
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Taylor Brown ngon master
    I'm not an animator or a pro but speaking generally about portfolios: I think it'd be a good idea to look at the reels of *hired* junior level animators to determine where you need to improve next. To my untrained eye, things seem a little rough around the edges before the Croc clips. Hopefully folks with more experience can step in here and offer further critique.

https://www.artstation.com/figmentpigment/blog/P9O3/huge-heap-of-hopefully-helpful-hints
  • CarlCraft
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CarlCraft polycounter lvl 9
    To give some feedback on your presentation: I absolutely think you should have ONE reel and not multiple smaller clips. Pick out your best animations and make a short movie out of it, that case I don't have to do the work of looking at your stuff. Now it doesn't bother me personally that much but I know if you want to get in to the industry the people hiring will be annoyed having to click multiple 10 second clips to get an idea of what you can do.

About your actual content I think Taylor brings up a good point about looking at where others in your position are at to get an idea of what you need to do to improve. I'm not an animator myself but right now to put it bluntly I'd say you need to improve a bit of everything. Especially if you are looking to get a job. Maybe start off with an internship? But right now I'm pretty sure you just need to put your head down and make a lot of stuff and you will eventually get better. Gotta work hard!
  • jose.fuentes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jose.fuentes interpolator
    I agree with having one reel, I would make your first clickable image a reel with all your stuff together.  Then from there have the individual shots as separate items.  The job hunt is a hard one, dont get discouraged.  You'll find that you may get 1000 rejections but all you need is one offer.  Best of luck!
  • Adi_123
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Adi_123 polycounter lvl 3
    As someone who has pursued animation for about 4 years, I'd say follow the advice above.
    Second of all shorten your animation length, no one wants to watch one clip that's over a minute long. They'll probably just close the tab and ask you to leave.
    Next, Keep practicing the animation principles and for a portfolio piece, create something unique, something that'll make anyone go WOW that's amazing!

Then, work on the presentation of your animations.There's two types of ways that I'm talking about and you need to do both. Add some props, tell a little story about your character and not just show a few simple moves like sword slash or whatever. Light and render your animations properly, basically just make it look good. Then comes the final part, when you've built two to four solid animations, arrange them in this way: Best, third best, Fourth best, Second best. You want to please whoever you're showing your reel to so they don't just close it halfway through, you want to make sure they enjoy the whole ride.

Cheers.