Home Adobe Substance

Substance painter normal bake weird problem, same in Marmoset

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
arnov polycounter lvl 4
Im getting those weird artifacts around my triangles.. no idea whats causing it. Normals are fine.

If you want to take a look heres low and high poly - https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Kw0CJTKzkZaAhYmT_M6PHg-xa0bi1-Ui/view?usp=sharing

Thanks

Replies

• Revel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Revel interpolator
    Thats not artifacts, it's just a way the normal map to counter your lowpoly shading, especially cus you said the normal applied to mesh looks fine. This is the exact reason why you need to triangulate your mesh before bake to make sure it matches the triangulation you see on the normal map.
  • arnov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arnov polycounter lvl 4
    Revel said:

Thats not artifacts, it's just a way the normal map to counter your lowpoly shading, especially cus you said the normal applied to mesh looks fine. This is the exact reason why you need to triangulate your mesh before bake to make sure it matches the triangulation you see on the normal map.

Thanks, I honestly expected different result thats why I was sceptical about this, but I get it now.
  • arnov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arnov polycounter lvl 4
    Revel said:

Any ideas if its possible get a normal map without this? Or is there a workaround
  • poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    Read the sticky threads on normal baking In the technical talk forum. It's all explained in there
  • Revel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Revel interpolator
    @arnov - you can edit vertex normal of your mesh to remove the shading gradient on your mesh's surface before baking the normal map. I know Max has Edit Normal modifier, if you're using Maya or some other software you can try to find something similar.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arnov said:
    Any ideas if its possible get a normal map without this? Or is there a workaround
    There is no reason to do this. As was previously explained, this is both expected and necessary for the low poly mesh to have correct shading. This is what normal maps do, it's their thing. Baked normal maps contain very precise math (normal vectors) that are essential to their operation.

Viewing normal maps in 2D to discern issues is very problematic and likely to cause other problems if you're doing unnecessary edits to try to make your normal map "look better" in Photoshop. You need to view the normal map with an appropriate shader on the 3D model, in your target renderer, to check for errors.
  • arnov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arnov polycounter lvl 4
    arnov said:
    There is no reason to do this. As was previously explained, this is both expected and necessary for the low poly mesh to have correct shading. This is what normal maps do, it's their thing. Baked normal maps contain very precise math (normal vectors) that are essential to their operation.

Viewing normal maps in 2D to discern issues is very problematic and likely to cause other problems if you're doing unnecessary edits to try to make your normal map "look better" in Photoshop. You need to view the normal map with an appropriate shader on the 3D model, in your target renderer, to check for errors.
    I think I get it now :) thanks for explaining!