Home Career & Education

Classical atrist fed up with classical art!

Dasha_Canavar
polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Dasha_Canavar polycounter lvl 2

Hi everyone! I am completely new here.. And I am here because I need an advice. 

I am a classical artist specializing in realistic drawing and painting. And as I wrote in the topic I am fed up with classical art. I bought a wacom tablet not so long time ago and practicing digital drawing, and I really love it! I want to find a job in this field. I am eager to learn, and I understand that I need to learn a lot before I can find a job. I need an advice what type of a job to study for. 

So: I am very good in depicting people and any type of realistic drawing, I love to play games. Could you give me tips about jobs which could suit a person like me? I would investigate them instead of reading all the content on google about gaming.

Replies

• Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    Character artist, concept artist come to mind for somebody already accustomed to studying the human form. You can get an overview of typical disciplines at the wiki on this site.

2d character concept artist would probably be the simplest transition, but who knows maybe you'll really like 3d or even get into tech art or animation. I'd recommend trying out a lot of stuff if you aren't in a hurry.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Concept artist or illustrator.

They are different jobs.
  • valuemeal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    valuemeal polycounter lvl 6
    Seeing your pieces could help my good fellow,
    so that we can see what you would be more suited for.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
  • Dasha_Canavar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanx for the answers everyone! 

I went to study wiki on this site, very helpful, now I understand a little bit better what are the jobs in gaming. 
    But still some things are very unclear, I think I have to dig deeper:) 

Character design seems the most attractive, but as far as I understand it is mostly 3D? I have started studying zbrush, but I see that I will need much more time to get some good results here, thinking in 3D is not my habit yet.. And unfortunately I do not really have a lot of time, I need to earn money as soon as I can. 

So I am searching for some field were I can use my knowledge of 2D. And may be later on to proceed to 3D. 
    But I could not find a lot information here about illustration. Are we talking about game illustration, or is it illustration in general? 

And yes, my works you can see on https://dasha_canavar.artstation.com
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    There is such a thing as 2D concept character design.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    If you want to become a concept artist, work on designs of the type you want to specialize in until you reach the level of a Joe Mad or a Scott Robertson.

If you want to become an illustrator, then work on producing painted illustrations (CG or traditional) indistinguishable from what is seen in Magic the Gathering or HearthStone.

Simple. Not easy, but simple :)

If you manage to do either or both, then you'll be 100% fit for hire. The good thing is that none of this requires any 3D at all ; and to an extent it can even be done without ever touching a computer beyond scanning and maybe some coloring.
  • alexsir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alexsir triangle
    I agree with pior.
    I would like to add that if you want to become a concept artist you need solid foundation not only in figure drawing, but also in landscape painting, industrial design, etc.

If you want to specialize in realistic drawing and painting of people, I think an illustration is more suited for you, You could work not only for games (promotional art and character design), but also doing book covers, cards, illustrations etc.

Some links with information about the industry:

• Dasha_Canavar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanx one more time! :)
    Yes I was also thinking that illustration might be the closest to what I already can do. 

I think concept art demands a good skill of drawing from imagination and this is not my strong side, as you can see from my works. 

So thank you one more time for your oppinion, for the links and information, and wish me good luck :))) 
  • Dasha_Canavar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just one more question came into my mind.. Illustrator seems to be freelance job, or is it not necessary like this?  
  • Meloncov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Meloncov greentooth
    Just one more question came into my mind.. Illustrator seems to be freelance job, or is it not necessary like this?  
    The majority of illustrators are freelancers, yes, but some places do have in-house illustrators.
  • Dasha_Canavar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Then I need to do concept art also. I forgot to mention that one of important goals for me to find a job in a studio - in a place where I will be working not alone. This is one of the reasons I don’t want to do classical art anymore- you are by yourself all the time, after a lot of years of lonely  work I see that I badly need working in a team.