Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[UE4] "Long and Rubbery"

greentooth
Offline / Send Message
FULGORE greentooth
...as in a Submarine. I had an idea for a UE Master Material for vehicle panels, which became rubber tiles, which became a whole submarine. Possibly because I've been getting back into the Ace Combat franchise, and big floating/flying things are cool.

I'll be updating this post on AS up until it's finished with (in one way or another)

Latest:

(Lighting seams to be expected, currently unbuilt. And the design overall is complete fictional kitbashed nonsense. Navy Engineers, shout if something doesn't make mechanical sense)

So the way I'm putting this together is pretty simple:

• Combination of Modular and Unique chunks
  • Master Material for Sub Tiles - uses base rubber textures tiled on UV1, tile textures (as Texture Parameters) on UV1, and a channel-packed mask on UV2 for water marks (also flattens the Normal output slightly), rust stains, and combined baked AO
  • I'm using a couple of unique parallax-using materials for the metal runners (Conform compound while in the Top viewport was useful here) along the hull top, and the rusted under-surface where the tiles have fallen off
  • The missing tiles are just cut into the geo, set to the relevant Material ID, and each hole is mapped fully 1:1 on UV2 - where the material uses a small, strong square inset Normal map, so it doesn't look flat
  • Simple floating parts & decals go over the top (e.g. signage, Conning Tower unique parts)

Anechoic Tile variations (90% of everything built from these - base UV1 Rubber tiling adjusted per Instance to account for size of Tiles, e.g. Rubber tiling on the Trims is super low, but high on the large panels for rest areas):

Bits 'n pieces in Max:

Depending on complexity, the individual parts typically end up between 1k and 5k triangles.

The ambition is for this to be something that holds up at pretty much any distance, maybe ideal for a 3rd person hero asset, something like that - plus I like making things where it's easy to reconfigure parts e.g. signage, dirt/wear levels, colour options, adding or removing hull segments.

Feedback & suggestions welcome :)

--

Some other things I'd like to achieve:
- Nice clean panel division & trim lines, like on the Scinfaxi:

- More material variation, with stuff like tarp and caution tape:

- Large-scale scratches on the rubber surface, probably via decals:

Replies