Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Male sculpt in running/punching/maybekicking pose

Krane_01
null
Offline / Send Message
Krane_01 null
Here is a dude I've been working on and off for quite a while. ZBrush, 3DS Max and Redshift used!

Not sure where I wanted to go with this one, I just wanted some kind of heavy motion pose with a simple background.

Feedback is much appreciated! I get stuck in the final stages doing very small tweaks that is almost impossible to notice so I am dying for some tips and tricks for future reference!

Replies

• carvuliero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    carvuliero hero character
    Do you at least know what kind of tips are you looking for ?
    Is this going to stay rough like that ?
    is this one view sculpture ?
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    The gesture of this sculpt needs a cleaner line of action.  As of right now, there's three going on, and they're not agreeing with each other.
  • Krane_01
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Krane_01 null
    I guess the roughness is kind of how I wanted it. In the render I wanted the material to look a bit clay-like and I can see that there are some parts that look a bit too ZBrushy (clay buildup strokes) so it is not totally there.

Currently one view hehe, tried to get other angles to work but the weight and momentum looked even weirder from those angles...

I think the tips I am looking for is just for making the final image better looking in general. Trying to get the art fundamentals right but not sure I implement them correctly. :smile:

Optimus said:
    Looks like his legs are running but his body is sitll upright and not naturally tilted like when you are normally running.
    Yeah, I cheaped out a bit on the reference for the actual pose. Will try to find more/make some references myself for future sculpts. :)

The gesture of this sculpt needs a cleaner line of action.  As of right now, there's three going on, and they're not agreeing with each other.
    Ah, I did not think about that! I have read about the concept before but not sure I totally understand it. Are you thinking about how the torso does not quite follow the movement of the legs or is it his left arm? Would it be better if his right arm was raised a bit to make a line of action run from the bottom his left knee to the right fist? I should really read up on this...

Thanks everyone for replies!
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    This is what I mean by line of action

• Krane_01
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Krane_01 null
    I guess the roughness is kind of how I wanted it. In the render I wanted the material to look a bit clay-like and I can see that there are some parts that look a bit too ZBrushy (clay buildup strokes) so it is not totally there.

Currently one view hehe, tried to get other angles to work but the weight and momentum looked even weirder from those angles...

I think the tips I am looking for is just for making the final image better looking in general. Trying to get the art fundamentals right but not sure I implement them correctly. :smile:

Optimus said:
    Looks like his legs are running but his body is sitll upright and not naturally tilted like when you are normally running.
    Yeah, I cheaped out a bit on the reference for the actual pose. Will try to find more/make some references myself for future sculpts. :)

Ah, I did not think about that! I have read about the concept before but not sure I totally understand it. Are you thinking about how the torso does not quite follow the movement of the legs or is it his left arm? Would it be better if his right arm was raised a bit to make a line of action run from the bottom his left knee to the right fist? I should really read up on this...

• Krane_01
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Krane_01 null

Optimus said:

• Krane_01
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Krane_01 null
    This is what I mean by line of action

Okay thanks! I will have this in mind moving on. :)