Home Technical Talk

Unwrapping problem

Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Hello, I made highpoly sculpt from this ref. My result might be lowpoly near 4000 polys and 1024x1024 texture. But at this point i cant get good quality of texture, it is blurred. So i guess i need to make that stones overlapped? but in that case it would have similar texture. Please help me how to correct unwrap that.  

Replies

• Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Of course you will want to make sure the way you're laying out your UV shells makes the best use of the space. You might be able to achieve a higher level of detail with just a better UV layout. A lot of people just starting out struggle with this and they waste a lot of space. Without seeing your UV layout it's hard to say if there is any room for improvement.

Outside of that there are a lot of unique details in that piece but you could reuse parts to save on texture space and still get the same overall aesthetic.

So for example the blocks on the right and left, could be the same piece just rotated 180. 
    For the boards you can use the same idea, model one or two boards, then flip rotate, size and cut them so they appear to be unique.

Think less about making the entire piece as one homogeneous solid chunk and think about assembling it with as few parts as possible. Break those parts off, get them working with instanced meshes and then do your final assembly.

Of course this level of sharing isn't without a few headaches. If you take the whole thing into substance and start painting textures, what you paint/bake/generate on the front of one board shows up in other places so things like AO and dirt masks might become problematic. But if you work on the pieces isolation and assemble them after substance, it will probably be fine.
  • Serhiidenysenko825
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mark Dygert , thank you very much!