Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

The Bi-Monthly CHARACTER ART Challenge | August- September

Replies

• GinoArdelean
    Offline / Send Message
    GinoArdelean polycounter lvl 3
    Greetings.

I'm a bit stuck right now so I was wondering if somebody has some time to give me some C&C. I'm not going to deep on details or I m trying not to, as I want to try to make them as I texture don't really know if its the right answer but I want to try that out.

I feel like something is wrong like a lot of thing's but really don't know what. (Maybe I should take a day or two to rest.) but yeah if you have any tip or critique especially on proportions and shape wise I will love to hear them.

Thank you and sorry for the trouble.
    @crowlena It's looking good! I would work a little bit on the folds from the clothing, also I've noticed that you have few issues with the normals/Ao (especially on the hands) or places where 2 pieces connect like where the boots and the pants join.

Another thing would be that there is a lot of free space on you re uv's and some pieces are poorly unwrapped ( i think uvmaster) maybe they are more like provisional uv's if not I would clean them a little and pack them more tightly.

PD: Maybe a little bit more topology on some places would improve the shape a little bit but that just depends on the budget that you have.

• Kiraitul
    Offline / Send Message
    Kiraitul polycounter lvl 5
    Here's my progress so far, first time using marvelous designer, please ignore the forearms and hands:

@GinoArdelean Your head is too small. On the concept, even though he is looking down slightly, the chin meets up with the scarf.
    The shoulder armour could also be bigger and i think that maybe the straps along the chest could be a bit wider. I hope this helps.

• crowlena
    Offline / Send Message
    crowlena polycounter lvl 4
    @GinoArdelean Thanks that was very helpful!:) You sound slightly disheartened with your own but your progress is really great. The head shouldn't be too hard to fix and your leathers and cloth are looking convincing. 

@Kiraitul I'm envious of how your cloth is coming along. I thought that the trousers were more loose and baggy in the concept but I think that the direction you've taken yours looks more believable. 

I hadn't tried hair before so it took a lot more days than anticipated. The hair has 30388 tris so I probably went a bit overboard^^'

For my UVs, I had thought that a mixture of UVMaster and maya layout would be enough. I did a bit more research, unwrapped and packed everything again in Maya so hopefully they're more efficient.  I'm using substance painter's 'bake by mesh name' so I think that some of the artifacts were from meshes that I forgot to separate. I don't know what the artifacts on the chest armour are from. I worked more on the coat after it was posed as it seemed most of the folds came from the pose (and I'm not going to be looking into dynamics for this one). For posing I used Maya's quick rig and re-sculpted the hands.

• crowlena
    Offline / Send Message
    Hope I'm not jumping ahead of myself but I made progress with texturing. I reduced his hair Tris too down to 25308 which is probably still too high for his scraggly locks? The total tri count is at 73324. His textures are 3x2K sets (skin, clothes, hair). Any critiques/thoughts are welcome:)

• bkost
    Offline / Send Message
    bkost interpolator
    Hey @crowlena great work! I'm always happy to see people completing one of the bi-monthly challenges (: That in itself is an accomplishment.  I really like your opacity maps with the clothing, the torn ragged edges are great. One big thing missing is the AO maps not tying in, the clothing isn't sitting well. Take for example his head piece. Either through post processing in marmoset, baked in AO, or a combination of the both would really help sell the transitions and not make the edges so harsh.

Any ideas when the next bi-monthly challenge will be up? I'm considering hopping into the challenge
  • amandell
    Offline / Send Message
    amandell polycounter lvl 12
    Yes, I too am interested in joining the next bi-monthly challenge. Hope it gets posted soon. :smile:
  • Djyver
    Offline / Send Message
    Djyver polycounter lvl 6
  • miica
    Offline / Send Message
    miica polycounter lvl 13
    Congrats Djyver!

I actually wanted to join this challenge and model out the male pirate at the beginning of last month but man I haven't do these for a while so I drag my time watching some tutorials... and near to the end of last month I didn't do anything much, I was hoping to join the new challenge too so I don't keep procrastinating by watching tutorial, hope the new challenge will be up soon. It will also be great excercise before doing Artstation's Feudal Japan's challenge!

• crowlena
    Offline / Send Message
    @bkost Thank you! You're totally right about the ambient occlusion, you've opened my eyes haha. I think that my settings were wrong in substance and I did not turn it on in marmoset because I thought the baked would be enough. It definitely looks better with more shadow definition.

@Djyver It's looking great! You've left out a few of the buckles and scarves from the concept but I understand the need to have a finished piece. For critique, the muscle around his neck looks a bit out of shape. Maybe it was distorted during posing? In the concept his head is facing away and has a nice tilt. I know you don't need to copy the concept exactly but it might make your model look more dynamic.

I'm really hesitating to share this because it reveals how slow I am haha, especially relative to my outcome. I tracked the time I spent on each part of the process using the toggl app. It's my first time doing a fully clothed human like this so hopefully speed will come with experience. The hair was probably the most time consuming  but I predict there will always be something technical that needs figuring out. In defense of the time under polycount, it's mixed up with rendering and putting shots together for artstation. I'd love to see other people's breakdowns if they have them.

• Djyver
    Offline / Send Message
    Djyver polycounter lvl 6
    @miica , @crowlena Thx, this is my 2nd character. It was good practice for me. @crowlena i saw your work, very good. I like how you did cloth.
    The muscle around his neck was break after i use rig. Now i upgraded my skill. Hope next challenge i will better. Good luck =)

p.s. sorry for my bad english )

• Alemja
    Offline / Send Message
    Alemja hero character
    Sorry time slipped by me! Next challenge will be up today!
  • Alemja
  • PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    He's missing some eyebrows right now... Not happy with his hair either, though.

[IMAGE DELETE , wrong one]
  • Alemja
    Offline / Send Message
    Alemja hero character
    @PyrZern I'm not sure if it's a bad bake or if surface details from the high poly didn't translate well, but his face seems rather lumpy. It also kinda looks his face morphed back to an older design from the previous update, it's not reading like the actor you wanted to reference. What does your final sculpt look like?
  • PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    OHh, I know what you mean now, that's an older export <_<' I do add more fat and structure to the face, so not exactly following Redmayne anymore. I was trying to break from his triangle-upside down face so I add more fats to it. Then push his face back in again.

A bit bumpy in the area between jawline and cheek I believe.

That is still the sculpt btw, have yet to bake the face.

• Alemja
    Offline / Send Message
    Alemja hero character
    @PyrZern His face is still rather lumpy and to be frank I think your decision to move away from the actor's face has caused you to slip back into your old face making habits. This character and a majority of your previous characters have similar stylizations that make it look like they could all be related. I think it would really benefit you to try and make a likeness of a real person, it will help you break out of the habits you've developed and allow you to make better characters in the long run.
  • PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    @Alemja  It's funny, because the reason I moved away from what I had (Redmayne) was because I felt it was too similar to what I have been making... Now I really don't know what to think.
  • Alemja
    Offline / Send Message
    Alemja hero character
    @PyrZern I would try and go for an actual likeness, you were kind of loosely basing your model off of the actor's face before, but you never really hit shapes that makes it look like him. Like for example you were going a little more angled and triangle with the face when the actor is more rectangular and straight (at least from straight on), or you never really got the lip shapes he has, it's just kind of the same general shape you generally do. I would take a look at the paint over I gave you previously because I think it still applies to what you have now.
  • GinoArdelean
    Offline / Send Message
    GinoArdelean polycounter lvl 3
    Greetings.

I know I'm extremely late ... I had a surprisingly busy month's. Had my first art test (actually had the second too) which made me really happy still don't have any answer from any but learned a lot for it so was really worth it!

Well the piece in itself would still need a lot of refining but in like 12 h starts the challenge from artstation and I m kinda hyped so I'm kinda calling it done I may come back in the future and do some clean up.

24K tris
    3X2k textures PBR metal roughness. (Third material is just to have a easy access to anisotropic for the hair) 

Rendered in Marmoset.

I m gonna post the rest of the shots on my Digital Sketchbook just as to not clog this and have a progression over there.