Home Technical Talk

How start human sculpting on zbrush

Kcimor78
null
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Kcimor78 null
Hello.
This is my 1st post ever in polycount. Im looking for zbrush tutorials and workshops, trying to fing good head sculpting tutorials online. I started to model with blender and then maya, but now i want to learn zbrush. I really would like to start learning human sculpting. I find organic modeling extremely hard, but i want to brainstorm head modeling until i can get it right. I would prefer to start sculpting from a basemesh, from a sphere looks alot harder.
What i want is, please, for you guys to give me links to the best human figure sculpting tutorials for zbrush, tutorials and workshops, whatever is best. I aspire to work in 3D, i have studied for some time but im nothing special, i guess i will brainstorm human modeling until im atleast decent, and, if im not able to do it, maybe ill give up. I have had awful experiences at work, thats why i really would like to work on 3D art, because its really fun to me.

Replies

• pior
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    > I want to learn zbrush
    > I find organic modeling extremely hard
    > I would prefer to start sculpting from a basemesh
    > Its really fun to me

Maybe the reason why you find anatomy (sculpting, modeling, drawing, anything really) extremely hard is precisely because you'd prefer working from a basemesh (that is to say : starting from a point where 90% of the hard work is already done) and find pressing buttons in Zeebrush so very fun.

The fact of the matter is ... no tutorial series on how to use a sculpting environment will ever teach you human anatomy, the subtle relations between parts of the human body, or the way the planes of the face interplay with each other. Nothing wrong with practicing how to use a tool of course, but don't mistake that for an actual understanding of the topic itself.

Unfortunately quite a few artists convince themselves that they are Zeebrush sculpting wizards because they can cram detail all around a model and spend days polishing surfaces - But none of that gets them any closer to understanding the balance of the human body and the subtleties of its features.

Do yourself a favor and put in the work to learn about the topic you want to study, rather than worrying about the last 5% of the execution process. And ironically enough you'll get to good results much faster that way.

Good luck !

• JordanN
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    Kcimor78 said:
     I really would like to start learning human sculpting. I find organic modeling extremely hard, but i want to brainstorm head modeling until i can get it right. I would prefer to start sculpting from a basemesh, from a sphere looks alot harder.
    Before I went into environment modeling, the first tutorials I found about character modeling all started from just a box. That's all they were.

While I can understand the convenience of wanting to use a basemesh, it might be important to learn from ground zero of how you go from a box/sphere to a human head.

This is not 100% tutorial, but here is a blog post from an actual Character Artist working at Capcom. While he mentions that the studio does create reusable meshes, he does create the character in the link below from scratch.

http://www.capcom-unity.com/gregaman/blog/2010/12/21/heroine_progress_report_-_3d_modeling

• Kcimor78
  • Alex_J
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    lol. better late than never. how's the training going?
  • Kcimor78
    Offline / Send Message
    Kcimor78 null
    Im learning 3ds max. I have used blender and then maya, on my own at home. Last year i started to atudy again, game art course, and im learning 3ds max, basically learning the UI aince i already modeled in other programs. Im gonna start using zbruah soon