Home Technical Talk

How to approach floors/floor patterns?

null
Hey there polycount people,

so first things first;
I was wondering whether I should post this in the "How the F*** do I model this" topic, but since this is a more specific topic to me, I thought I might give it a shot. That is that.

Now, at this point I guess most of you have already seen some of the gigantic God Of War artdump over on ArtStation and I think most of you will agree, that it is a pretty descent (looking) game - understatement intended.
Anyways, I am currently working on my Bachelor Thesis project which features an temple-esque environment piece and I am especially confused about how I go about the floor.
So when I was doing my research I stumbled upon these screens from some of the environment artists who worked on God Of War, which feature something, that I planned on doing in my scene as well, but I just can't figure out how to it can be done.

I should also mention, that I am, at best, mediocre at modeling. Let's say I'm an advanced beginner.

These are the pieces that give me headache.

The floor in my scene is supposed to feature something like the last screen.
It will have a center isle made of dark stone tiles, with trims left and right. The isle is supposed to be broken up in the middle of the room by some shape simmilar to the above.

My questions are:
1) Are the stone tiles/plates Normal Information baked onto a simple plane
or are those actually seperate tiles modeled and sculpted?
2) Is the center piece modeled seperately, if so, do you make a seperate tile which fits the shape?
3) How do you make them stick out if it is just Normal Info?
3) If they are actually box shaped, do you delete the faces down below?

So far, I tried to model a single tile, copying it to fit on my desired 1x1 space and then baked the combined tiles to the unwraped plain plane in Substance. That way I get tiles, but they all look similar and it is just a plane after all.
When I model boxes, offset them so they stick out and whatnot and then sculpt in details, I am stuck with how to get them to be lower rez, so my scene does not slow down.

I'm sorry if I'm causing confuson, but I feel like I literally hit the floor and don't know how to go from here.

Thanks in advance to anyone willing to help a noob :)

Replies

• poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    It's probably split up by material. 

Eg.  The tiles, brass stuff and marble/rock stuff will be different tiling materials, all the major shapes will be geometry 
  • throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I haven't seen the dump yet, but here's my take:

1) Kind of hard to tell, I see a mix of normals and modeled detail. The stone tiles might be using Parallax Occlusion Mapping to get a nice depth effect.
    2) I assume you're talking about the piece with the knotwork in it? Looks like a ZB sculpt to do the whole thing. For the retop they chose to model only the big details and baked in the rest.
    3) Look up POM as I mentioned in #1.
    4) Unless there's some need, we don't keep unseen faces. Say the bottom of a refrigerator in a game where it will never move or be placed on its side vs. some physics-based game.
  • Pryme_XIII
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pryme_XIII null
    Hey guys, thanks for the help so far.
    Sorry, for my late response but this project took it's toll and I took some much needed days off.

@throttlekitty I will have a look at Parallax Occlusion Mapping
    Concearning your answer 2): By model big details, are you talking about actually maya modelling?
    Thanks for your insight so far. I try to post my efforts so far later, as I have to test some things out you mentioned. :)
  • throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, thanks for the help so far.
    Sorry, for my late response but this project took it's toll and I took some much needed days off.

@throttlekitty I will have a look at Parallax Occlusion Mapping
    Concearning your answer 2): By model big details, are you talking about actually maya modelling?
    Thanks for your insight so far. I try to post my efforts so far later, as I have to test some things out you mentioned. :)
    No worries, everyone has their own schedule.

Yes, I meant 'actual' modeling. In the first image, the center dark tile appears to be a flat polygon, but only the circles in the center and along the edges appear to be modeled and pushed down some. And the outer form of the whole brass tile shape appears to stand up from the ground, but it's hard to get a good feel for where the brass meets the stone(?) as far as depth goes.