Home Career & Education

[Requesting Advice] Based on my current expertise, which paths can I take to become a Tech Artist?

aallen
null
Offline / Send Message
aallen null
Hello everyone! I'm new here, and I was wondering if anyone could help me with knowing what path to take to become a tech artist, based on what I've already done.

I just recently graduated with a Computer Science degree, so I know a fair bit of coding. This coding knowledge mainly extends to areas of scripting, automation, and game programming. I'm also an avid 2D artist and draw/paint on the regular. I have aspirations to become a professional character designer/illustrator, but I feel my 2D skills aren't at a level I'd like them to be at right now. I'd like to become a technical artist for the time being because I want to find a way to bridge the gap between my coding and artistic skills, and I feel that tech art would be able to do that for me.

Considering my skills and desires, what would be some good paths I could take? I was thinking of getting into rigging and muscle systems, because if I can code scripts for muscle systems, I would coincidentally be learning about anatomy, and the anatomy knowledge would greatly help my character design aspirations. What do you guys think? Any advice?