Home General Discussion

Getting front paged

If you want a higher chance for being front-paged, rather than just adding a reply in one of the waywo's, also make a topic and include the link in your reply.  We tend to favor topics over waywo posts, simply because it encourages discussion & feedback.

Let us know what you think! 

Replies

• valuemeal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    valuemeal polycounter lvl 6
    Are there any other elements fellow?
    A certain algorithm what goes into a selecting an entry for this one?

Is it just what those who choose find appeasing or is it something more?
    Because just wip sculpts have been in, but you fellows always stress finishing 
    pieces/
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Front paged items are typically what a moderator thinks everyone would be interested to see. Simple as that. 

Front page doesn't care if it's finished, only if it's interesting..

Employers on the other hand DO care about finished pieces.
  • Blond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blond polycounter lvl 9
    Can animation videos be front paged? I just finished a piece I've shown off the animation forum and it would have been nice for it to be featured..

Edit: Oh..I just re-read the original post...
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Blond There's currently an animation on the frontpage.
    You can always report a post to the mods if you think it's got FP potential, but: don't put your own work forward...
  • valuemeal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    valuemeal polycounter lvl 6
    Eric Chadwick
    The question is. who is everyone? 
    I mean it sometimes seems to appeal to certain demographics than others many of time. 
    I have seen many quality fellows on the forums over looked in favor of something that was more wooden or real or that psudeo-wood kinda animated but not really that appeals to fellows in nations who had a console embargo during  the gaming age of innovation. 
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you would spend your time reporting posts to the mods if you think they had FP potential rather than posting psudeo-wooden questions, more of what you like would be on there!
    Although, I think I personally frontpage plenty of characters that I assume you'd like, and for what it's worth I FP a lot of them. If anything, there's too many stylised characters up there at times, and frozen fellows might feel left out!

I'm sorry, frozen fellows.
  • Blond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blond polycounter lvl 9
    valuemeal said:
    Eric Chadwick
    I mean it sometimes seems to appeal to certain demographics than others many of time. 
    I have seen many quality fellows on the forums over looked in favor of something that was more wooden or real or that psudeo-wood kinda animated but not really that appeals to fellows in nations who had a console embargo during  the gaming age of innovation. 

• Alex_J
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    What is a frozen fellow? A wooden fellow? Do I get to just, decide what these mean to me and laugh as others try to figure it out, or is there some place I can go and get definitions? If I go to an AAA job interview, will they ask, "Would you say you are a frozen fellow, or more of a wooden fellow?" Maybe I am actually a fire fellow? Or a sewer fellow? An upside down fellow?
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What is a frozen fellow? A wooden fellow? Do I get to just, decide what these mean to me and laugh as others try to figure it out, or is there some place I can go and get definitions? If I go to an AAA job interview, will they ask, "Would you say you are a frozen fellow, or more of a wooden fellow?" Maybe I am actually a fire fellow? Or a sewer fellow? An upside down fellow?
    https://polycount.com/discussion/188358/niche-games
  • musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan high dynamic range
    I unwittingly returned one of my front page nods last week and I've been depressed ever since........ thanks @Eric Chadwick  ;)
  • m4dcow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    m4dcow interpolator
    @Blond There's currently an animation on the frontpage.
    You can always report a post to the mods if you think it's got FP potential, but: don't put your own work forward...
    Is there a preferred format for doing this?
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    m4dcow said:
    Yes there is! Check the sticky in the Animation section for embed tips...
  • sacboi
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range

valuemeal wrote:

Eric Chadwick

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• m4dcow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    m4dcow interpolator
    m4dcow said:
    Yes there is! Check the sticky in the Animation section for embed tips...
    Sorry, I was asking about a format for suggesting frontpage worthy stuff to mods by "reporting" a post.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Flag > Report should do it.
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So in summary:
    -If it exists, and you let us know about it: we can frontpage it!
    Highfive, heart emoji, we're making Polycount better together.
    -If you can't express what it is you want, but it 'sometimes, many of time' appeals to a 'certain' but unclear demographic, but it definitely exists, maybe: we can't frontpage it.
    Frowny face, tree emoji.

I can only express my deep regret at our many flaws.

(Also note that I often keep track of 'likes' (the greentooth logo under a post), and find cool stuff that way. But I also saw that time you liked your own post. I see everything.)
  • musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Michael Knubben You're confusing me with your unorthodox amalgamation of modern written language and primitive hieroglyphic symbols. When you display emojis as text my brain doesn't compute. I'm going back to crossing this busy motorway with my face no further than 4 inches from my smartphone screen.......

hashtaghumansareregressingintellectually
  • NikhilR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NikhilR polycounter
    I've never let the front page dictate what I check out since I go directly to the forums. I feel its important to read more into what artists are posting to get a better impression of their work thatn just a first impression.

The banner might catch my attention from time to time.

Sometimes I wonder if my khan model was a gender bender, would it get more views given the open chest, but I try not to think about it lol.

Before anyone confronts me on this, please check out this interesting post,
    https://polycount.com/discussion/181906/artstation-and-tits/p1

In this light I feel that polycounts front page selections are more varied than artstation in many ways.

• Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NikhilR said:

In this light I feel that polycounts front page selections are more varied than artstation in many ways.

You don't know how happy I am to hear someone say that! It's something I try to achieve, but ofcourse I can only feature what's being posted.
  • musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NikhilR said:

Definitely. I'm one of those who usually just goes straight to tech talk. I love the discussion that's generated and what's 'behind' the work being posted. Artstation has a few breakdown gems all right, but no discussion beyond 'Wow! so cool'. But I suppose that's not its purpose.
  • NikhilR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NikhilR polycounter
    NikhilR said:

You don't know how happy I am to hear someone say that! It's something I try to achieve, but ofcourse I can only feature what's being posted.

It very much is, this piece for instance by @Icore
    https://polycount.com/discussion/201001/cat-house-stylized#latest

Excellent selection of a really innovative piece! 
    Though I didn't find it from the front page, was just browsing through the 3D Art showcase offering feedback/appreciation. The "cat" aspect was an influence and it is indeed a well made piece.

Kudos also to the concept artist of the original art,
    Charlene Le Scanff
    https://www.artstation.com/catell-ruz

That said some pieces may get overlooked for front page from time to time, however I believe they will be seen by users that go looking for them and frequent the 3D showcase regularly.

NikhilR said:

Definitely. I'm one of those who usually just goes straight to tech talk. I love the discussion that's generated and what's 'behind' the work being posted. Artstation has a few breakdown gems all right, but no discussion beyond 'Wow! so cool'. But I suppose that's not its purpose.

I feel that with artstation besides that female nudity issue, their front page is completely dominated by trending artists with the most followers.
     I've found some great artwork by several artists that have a tiny amount of likes and followers and little to no presence.
     I don't think the likes and follows alone motivates them to create their work though.

After getting some good feedback here on polycount, my Khan Noonien Singh model was appreciated among a star trek fan group that's building a recreation of the next generation enterprise (http://stage-9.co.uk) so I think its about creating exposure among the right target groups. 

• JordanN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    valuemeal said:
    I don't think they're being overlooked, they're just not active enough to break past the exposure ceiling.

There was a guy in the 2D Showcase section I really liked. He posted some art I really liked and was hoping he would keep it going since he made his own thread. But he only showed up once or twice and pretty much left.

There was another user in the 3D art section that also started a thread that was quite different from everything else. I had hopes he/she was going to get a chain going but then just went on hiatus. 

I've said this before on Polycount but it applies to life in general. Just because you don't see something that is popular, don't wait on someone else to do it. Be the change you want to see in the world. 

Ever since I've taken up 3D modeling, I've done what I can to make art that I always wanted to see. If there's an idea I have or feel it's underrepresented in general, then I've always gone ahead and made the art myself instead of waiting on others to do it.
  • m4dcow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    m4dcow interpolator
    NikhilR said:

I feel that with artstation besides that female nudity issue, their front page is completely dominated by trending artists with the most followers.
    I mean it is the same thing here to an extent, where a well known user will post something and it gets more attention and a quicker frontpage placement (If it's frontpage worthy). The difference with polycount is cool stuff by lesser known users is eventually featured because there is less stuff to sort through.

The best ones IMO are the process threads, that many times start out rough and take weeks or in some cases many months to be completed. Those threads show the steps and there is back and forth with the community about techniques and workflows, you don't get that on artstation.

As a user I would say start a thread for any decent sized project you are working on, if it small experiments/techniques you are trying out randomly make a sketchbook thread instead, but in either case crosspost updates to WAYWO. As I mentioned before, there are many posts I miss because beginning stages like blocking out things aren't very glamorous, and I may not check that thread for awhile, but if I'm scrolling through WAYWO and see something cool I look for the thread link.

I would also suggest not to waiting for conceptual feedback from the ether of polycount, it sounds weird to say because it is an important factor, but so many projects get started every week that will never be finished that many people are reluctant to put forth the effort offering an opinion. If you wait around too long for feedback, you not only waste a bunch of time but risk getting bored of said project and abandoning it. If you are lucky though, and get any kind of feedback listen to it, there is no quicker way never to get feedback again than to ignore a suggestion without a good reason to do so. 
  • Ashervisalis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    The flag button is for alerting mods to possible front page material? I thought it was just for spam and replies which break rules. This is good to know.
  • NikhilR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NikhilR polycounter

m4dcow said:
    NikhilR said:

I mean it is the same thing here to an extent, where a well known user will post something and it gets more attention and a quicker frontpage placement (If it's frontpage worthy). The difference with polycount is cool stuff by lesser known users is eventually featured because there is less stuff to sort through.

I think artstation uses an algorithm to determine which projects are trending. So obviously users with the most followers would probably make it to the front page.

With that discussion "Artstation and tits." many were wondering whether it might be a good idea to do nude/provocatively dressed woman to get more attention to their other work.

Not trying to start any argument on women's rights here mind you, but it is a male dominated industry or more appropriately as the saying goes, "there are no real women on the internet." 

I wonder if that influences users to click a "mature/hidden" post.
      With polycount, since the front page depends ultimately on a mod, probably less of the above unless polycount plans to go in that direction lol.

I've just been going straight to the forums, and I try to focus on artists getting started, wanting feedback. 

I've always wondered if an "easily offended person" in HR saw a portfolio full of well objectionable art that made front page and has hundreds of likes and followers, would that influence their decision, or would they do their job and look at it purely in an artistic perspective giving merit to skill and/or experience.

I wonder if this influences the kind of art, artist put on artstation. For my part,  portfolio wise I use my artstation for applications, so wouldn't really put any risque stuff, since really not into making that.

I do pm specific people if I want feedback on artstation and polycount, when I post here its also for feedback and encouraging discussion. I prefer posting an art retrospective to a progress thread when I can since have a lot to get done over the week.

The flag button is for alerting mods to possible front page material? I thought it was just for spam and replies which break rules. This is good to know.

Is this true? If so I wouldn't mind using it to highlight some art here thats super buried in the forum.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Flag > Report is a good way to let moderators know about something in a specific post.

Anything is fair game, that isn't Spam or Abuse.

https://polycount.com/discussion/63361/information-about-polycount-new-member-introductions/p1#flags

Help us help you. We're actively looking to feature the great work of your fellow compadres.

It's ultimately our discretion though. Part of what makes this place great. Your mods are fellow game developers!
  • Marshkin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marshkin polycounter lvl 9
    Is there a way to add an option under flag along the lines of "recommend" or something similar? I would have never thought to use report because in the context of the other two options, it has a negative connotation. 
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nope, sorry. Fairly closed system at the moment. You could also simply copy the post URL (right click on the post date) then Send Message to a moderator.
  • NikhilR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NikhilR polycounter
    Nope, sorry. Fairly closed system at the moment. You could also simply copy the post URL (right click on the post date) then Send Message to a moderator.
    I hope theres a recommend button at some point. I just flagged something I felt was really nice work and it said complaint registered...
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Haha, you're right. Sorry about that. Can't change it at the moment. You can just ignore it.

• Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm also fine with people PM'ing me with suggestions, if they'd feel better about that. With the possible downside that, if I don't agree it's FP material, people might hold a grudge! Sending it to all moderators does neatly sidestep that issue.