Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Character WIP - Paladin (Cole Eastburn concept) feedback and critiques are welcomed!

Replies

• dGreenberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dGreenberg polycounter
    Hey man, the textures and materials are really coming along! The metal is already a huge improvement from your earlier update.

I'm flattered you like how "NEXT" turned out but I was pretty clueless to what I was doing during that texturing process. A lot of really kind and helpful forum members helped me figure out what was what, and at the rate your Paladin is coming along, I don't think you have anything to worry about. What programs are you using for the materials? I know Substance Painter's newest update added some improvements for skin shaders and texturing, but I hadn't seen that in action yet.
  • RachidJ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RachidJ greentooth
    @dGreenberg thank you for the kind words, I'm using substance at the moment, at first didn't know much about it, but as I work more on the character the more I get to know it. I'll look into the new skin shader improvements  to see what I can find.  
  • RachidJ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RachidJ greentooth

The metal was still bothering me so I had to go back to it and neglect the skin for now, however now that I have gotten something that I'm somewhat happy with I will try and get some work done on the skin. I've also made a test render in marmoset to see what the final product might look like. 

• polygons
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    polygons polycounter lvl 4
    Coming along very nicely!
  • RachidJ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RachidJ greentooth
    started working on the skin specially around the face to see what I could get done, still got to work on the eyes and fix some of the spec on the ears.
  • RachidJ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RachidJ greentooth
    tweaked a few things here and there
  • RachidJ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RachidJ greentooth
    Been a while since I posted, I posed him somewhat to see what it was looking like but it didn't feel right, so made the hammer and finished texturing it. Got to tweak the metals and leather since it looks a bit flat, rig, pose, and change the lighting set up. 
  • Durkel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Durkel polycounter lvl 2
    Awesome project Rachid. I really want to make something alike now :hushed: 
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Hot hot HOT!

that fur could use seperate mesh separation though.  I'm really iffy about fur meshes being that contiguous.
  • RachidJ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RachidJ greentooth
    @Durkel thank you for the complement, would love to see your take on it, Cole Eastburn has some amazing concepts t work from.  :)
  • RachidJ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RachidJ greentooth
    @Brian "Panda" Choi thank you for the complements and the feedback, I will keep that in mind in future projects  :)
  • RachidJ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RachidJ greentooth
    Changed the lighting set up a bit and tweaked a few textures, I think I can now start posing him, also had some fun with the hammer render test.
  • ThomasSykutera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ThomasSykutera polycounter lvl 2
    Hey Rachid,

really cool result here, so damn inspiring now I wanna do something similar! :D
    I love the lion head on the shoulder, the sculpt came out so great! 

Also the progress on the speed sculpt is really awesome. 

Did you set yourself a tough deadline or is this for work?
    If you did this as a personal project to push yourself, I'd say spend some time to research on how to achieve the look you want (how the character model textures of the studio you're aiming at look like) and take at least 2 more weeks to grind on the textures. Your highpoly right now looks great, but your textures don't match that level of quality yet. Quality over quantity, grinding on one piece isn't as bad as some people think. 

Nonetheless, great work man. Really.

Cheers
  • lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    Looking good!
    I wouldn't move on just yet though, I think your missing a bit of detail in the textures. especially in the face.
  • RachidJ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RachidJ greentooth
    @ThomasSykutera sorry for the late reply,  thank you for the complements and opening my eyes on the model, I had been looking at it for so long that I kind of lost track of what my goal was. I am currently working on trying to match the textures to the studio I'm aiming for so I'll start that grind!
  • RachidJ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RachidJ greentooth
    @lotet thank you, glad you like it. I apologize for the late reply I am currently working based on your critique, hopefully next  post it will look better
  • lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    RachidJ said:
    @ThomasSykutera. I am currently working on trying to match the textures to the studio I'm aiming for so I'll start that grind!
    maybe you have mentioned this earlier but what studio is that exactly? It would be a lot easier to give valid feedback on textures and everything with that in mind :)
  • ThomasSykutera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ThomasSykutera polycounter lvl 2
    @RachidJ
    Cool, glad to hear your perspective on this! If you know what your textures should look like, definitely spend the time. The grind will be worth it! More often than not ;) Looking forward to seeing more progress!
  • Zer02Her0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zer02Her0 triangle
    Loving this thread! Piece is coming together! Also, it's awesome that you went back and did some studies. Something I should do more of. 

Thanks for sharing your process! :)
  • RachidJ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RachidJ greentooth
    @lotet sorry for the extremely late reply, thanks for asking, my dream job would be at Blizzard since they've have influenced my teenage years so much.  :)

• RachidJ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RachidJ greentooth
    @ThomasSykutera thank you for the encouraging words, I hope I don't disapoint with the incoming post  :D

• RachidJ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RachidJ greentooth
    @Zer02Her0 thank you for the encouraging words, I definitely recommend doing studies even in a short amount of time you might notice how much of a change they will make.  :)  
  • RachidJ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RachidJ greentooth
    It's been a while and I haven't posted anything lol, wanted to have something of value to show to thank you all for your feedback, went back and started the textures from scratch, did some Overwatch studies and tried to figure out how they textured their stuff. Here is my interpretation. 
  • jose.fuentes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jose.fuentes interpolator
    i love your updates, seems like youre close to being done.  Great work !
  • RachidJ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RachidJ greentooth
    @jose.fuentes  Thanks for the complement, trying to put the finishing touches on him and figuring out what to do for the final presentation of it
  • RachidJ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RachidJ greentooth
    I just wanted to thank you all for the critiques and feedback, they really helped me out a lot, here is the Artstation post for the finished project. https://www.artstation.com/artwork/2POry
  • lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    Looks good! the whole thing kinda gives me an overwatch vibe :) 

If your still looking for feedback (I know your done, but maybe for your next piece) Id say the face and the hammer are the weakest parts of the character.

- hammer
    actual hammer part is looking a bit flat and uninteresting, especially the gold strips. I  would also ad some extra polygons on the handle here and there, to make the leather wrapping pop a bit here and there.

- face
    the hair is looking a bit plastic y, its especially prominent when looking at the silhouette, which could use some more hard and defined angles and points. Id also say the transition between the skin and the hair line is looking artificial as well.
    The face is one of the first things a viewer will look at, and its important that you spent a lot of extra time on that instead of getting caught up on some details on the boots, believe me I know, I do this all the time as well :P

With all that said I think you should be proud of this one, its a great piece and a good addition to your portfolio, keep it up!
  • RachidJ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RachidJ greentooth
    @lotet thank you very much for the feedback, I currently looking at it and collecting feedback to see where I am weak in so I can improve upon on my next project I'm very grateful for your past feedback and this one as well! :smile: