Procedural Improvement - A Substance Designer Journey

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Merlynn polycounter lvl 6

What this thread is for:

Hi everyone! I recently started to get back into Substance Designer after work. I will use this thread to post my WIP steps, lucky finds as well as final results. But most importantly I'm looking for some feedback on my work. Please feel free to C&C I'm happy for any suggestions!

Goals:

- reworking my old textures to brush up my skills and improve what's currently on my Artstation

- covering different materials and surfaces

- trying out new techniques and learning some tricks

Potential Extras:

- Trying a combined Zbrush-SD workflow

Let see how it goes!

Replies

• Merlynn
    Offline / Send Message
    Here are my most recent textures:

• Merlynn
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is a before-after comparison of the cobblestone texture from above. I think not only the presentation improved but also my overall understanding of crafting shapes in SD. While the first one is obviously a tiled brick pattern, the rework already looks much more organic. Turned out a bit stylized though.

Next on my list is marble.

Before-After Comparison:

• Merlynn
    Offline / Send Message

Next I'm going to tackle my old marble texture. I think for now I will focus on the green marble. In case I rework the white one as well, I could do some nice mixed tiles afterwards.

What to improve:

- The albedo, more details and especially sharper details

- Adding depth through different layers of "veins", lighter and darker areas

- Less procedural (or warped-cells-3) look

- More glossy and interesting roughness

- Tiles need improvement

Anything else you could think of?

• Merlynn
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is an update on the marble texture. I focused on the albedo. Mainly trying to go more towards realism (compared to the old one), adding some depth and having it look less procedural. Need to tackle the tiles next and add some more dirt/roughness variation. Any critique is welcome :)

• Khael
    Offline / Send Message
    Khael null
    @Merlynn Hi there !
    Really like the goal of your thread, it gives me the motivation to do the same :)
    For the update of the marble texture, it sure is better in terms of realism thanks to all the details you had and we clearly feel the depth you had on the albedo.
    Something bother me in the roughness/reflection, i like how glossy it is compared to the old one but it feels like the roughness is not uniform enough on the big picture (Don't hesitate if you don't understand what i mean btw )

For the albedo , i would find it more interesting with less darker area and more lighter ones. maybe some areas could have a complementary color like brown.

Nice job !
  • Khael
    Offline / Send Message
    Khael null
    Hi @Merlynn
    Wow your last material with additional patterns and golden trims is so nice. I wasn't expecting this but It's working so well :)
    I will create my own thread a bit later in the day !
    Have a nice day ;)
  • Merlynn
    Offline / Send Message
    Some test renders. Still undecided if I'm going for a more warm or cool lighting.

• Ashervisalis
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis greentooth
    I'm partial to the warm lighting. The texture looks great!
  • adrxzero
    Offline / Send Message
    adrxzero Polycount Sponsor
    Great progress and good work on your textures @Merlynn
  • Finnn
    Offline / Send Message
    Finnn triangle
    Your materials look great! :) Favourited your thread, I hope I can give you some valuable feedback !
    I think your marble material looks good, especially the golden trims and the pattern variation push it. 
    What could be improved in my opinion is your roughness map. It oculd use some (very sublte) but highly detailed surface noise. For example with an edited fractal sum. To make the roughness a little less perfect. Only subtle, if you want to keep the glazed look. But even the cleanest surface always have some kind of noise. 
    The render could be a little brighter. The warmer one is my favourite. 
    Have a nice day!
  • Finnn
  • Merlynn
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks everyone for the feedback! Warm lighting it is then!

@Finnn good point :) ! I will definitely try adding a fractal sum to the roughness. I did that for my previous cobblestone texture and it had a huge effect.

Meanwhile I experimented with adding a faucet to the scene. As much as I like the idea of having some additional context I have to admit that it didn't really work out. It takes away the attention from the actual texture. (And the cheap test model I made isn't helping the case.) Anyways here is the result. Now back to Substance Designer.

• Merlynn
    Offline / Send Message
    Here are the final renders. Added a slight variation for floors.

Undecided what I will tackle next. I really started to like the curve node, especially in combination with a bevel. Maybe I gonna try a coffered ceiling or something similar next.

• Khael
    Offline / Send Message
    Khael null
    @Merlynn Ohoho, nice improvements mate ! I'm really pleased seeing the evolution of this material. I looks so nice :)
    I planned to create my thread last week as i had the time to think about what i wanted to work on & to share, but my computer just let me down... :(
    It's repaired now so here i'm back :D I have a lot of environments to work on, and i hope to see more of your work to be inspired !