Home Digital Sketchbooks

Sketchbook: Khael

null
Offline / Send Message
Khael null

Hi mates ! 

MY MAIN OBJECTIVES

- To pass through all the processes involved in the creation of outdoor environments

- To rethink my workflow and be more confortable with Houdini / Zbrush

ENVIRONMENTS' STUDIES :

Frozen planet : I want to rework an old project. 

SKILLS TO IMPROVE :

• Procedural terrain generation Houdini

• Procedural material generation Substance Designer

• Lighting Exterior Dynamic / Skydome HDR Flow map

• Optimizing Materials UE4 ( Shaders, blueprint, landscape material...)

• High to Low Poly with Zbrush / 3DS Max 

If you want to give your opinion /share your knowledge with me and anyone reading this thread it's perfect :)

WIP

Replies

• Khael
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Khael null
    I try to get interesting shapes with the frozen planet terrain. If you have some ideas you're welcome ^^

• Khael
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Khael null
    Today was about getting some background context for the creation of the terrain. What kind of environment it is ? What's its story ? 
    I wanted my terrain to be an hostile environment, on another planet, with a perpetual  strong one-direction wind as if something was swallowing everything living. 
    I'm still experimenting and i feel that some interesting shapes and ideas can emerge :)

• Khael
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Khael null
    Hi everyone ! Made some progress, i see my final result more clearly but not done at all :pensive:

• Khael
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Khael null
    Hi guys ! 
    Finally got my final terrain made with Houdini. It's quite a big landscape so i want to be sure that i find small/medium/large assets to give the sensation of epic open world.
    I also sculped an high poly iced peak, on Zbrush and made the low poly one. The next one will be the ark.
    For the lighting, it will be all dynamic, with a moving skydome HDRI (Flow Mapping). I still try to find good Aurora Borealis HDRI, have any tips guys ? 
    Still lots to do, but really fun to work on :)

• Khael
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Khael null
    Can't post an image right now, i'll as soon as the bug will be fixed on polycount

Made some progress on the lighting / texturing part.
    Next steps for me are :
    - to do the subsurface scattering on ice material for some props.
    - To create two planets in the sky (Don't know yet if i go for a sphere + material or just a plane with alpha)

• Merlynn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Merlynn polycounter lvl 8
    Hi @Khael congrats for starting your thread :smiley:  looking good so far. I like how the snow texture turned out. With some subsurface scattering it could look really cool. How are you going to add snow on the rocks?
  • Khael
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Khael null

Thanks @Merlynn :) Even if it's hard to show our work as artist, i understand It is important to share ^^ I will add subsurface scattering on the foreground ice peak and maybe with some big rocks of the background.
    For now, i'm trying to export my masks from houdini to ue4. For example, if i can export the slope/water/bedrocks mask  out of Houdini in UE4, i think i will be able to applicate my snow material on it. And it will work for rocks / ice or any other materials. I just need to figure out how to do it aha

HoudiniFX & Substance Designer are really close in the workflow as they are both node_based and the fun thing is that i understand better SD nodes and combinaison of nodes by creating my terrain on Houdini. It is much like creating a big texture ^^

I will release a breakdown soon for procedural terrain creation on Houdini, you should try it one day ;)
  • Khael
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Khael null

Hi everyone,

I released the first part of a breakdown about procedural terrain generation.

https://khael.artstation.com/blog 

The texturing will be in the second part of the breakdown. I want to improve my skills in Substance Designer, so i decided to redo all the materials needed for the scene.

Here is my actual WIP on the terrain and Lighting :