(WIP) Metroid - Brinstar Environment

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Recker polycounter lvl 5

Hello everyone, I’ve been wanting to create something Metroid for a while now, so I’m just jumping in a going for it.

I’ve been really interested in the cave like environments for a while now and the Metroid games are typically abundant with caves, so I felt this was a great opportunity to get more practice.

For this environment I’ve decided that recreating a portion of Super Metroid, specifically the pink sections of Brinstar would be great. Not only will it allow me to create some hard surface assets, but also blend it in with organic shapes and designs, like intricate mushrooms, vines, and so on.

My main goal with this environment is to really push a bright a vivid scene, similar to how Metroid Prime visually looks. I really want to push and expand my creative process while also creating an environment that has gameplay elements considered. The end result will hopefully be an environment that looks nice, but also looks like it could be fun to play through.

Enough ramble however, here is some concepts I created, along with the first whitebox pass.

Replies

• Recker
    Offline / Send Message
    Recker polycounter lvl 5
    Long time coming, I've been super busy as of late, but I've finally gotten some further progress down on the environment. It took a while to find an aesthetic that I liked, and in the end I went with the basalt pillar look, however I wanted to merge that with a pyrite cubic crystal formations.

Anyways, here is the update image :)

It's still very much a work in progress, however I'm finally getting the base shapes down, I have a couple more primary assets to shape out, and then it's down to the high poly sculpts and the rest of the process following.

• Recker
    Offline / Send Message
    Recker polycounter lvl 5
    Another update, took a while, but I finally got some solid work done, including the main block piece. I also managed to get a tiling texture created, the scene is finally coming together, but enough of that, the pictures will show more than I can say...

Firstly is my reference
    Secondly is the block itself, taken from substance

Thirdly is it all in place in engine.

I'm happy with the results and it's finally coming together slowly, the other areas should now go a lot faster hopefully.
  • Ashervisalis
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis interpolator
    That ground looks absolutely gross to walk on! Your environment is coming together well!
  • Recker
    Offline / Send Message
    Recker polycounter lvl 5
    Haha, Thank you :) It still has a long way to go, but its slooowly getting there...
  • Verts
    Offline / Send Message
    Verts null
    That looks very nice already! That spongy floor looks awesome ! The violet Stones look a little off though. Id would be cool if the sponge maybe grows a little bit around it. Just something that connects those two elements. Overall it looks already fucking cool ! well done
  • Recker
    Offline / Send Message
    Recker polycounter lvl 5
    Verts said:
    That looks very nice already! That spongy floor looks awesome ! The violet Stones look a little off though. Id would be cool if the sponge maybe grows a little bit around it. Just something that connects those two elements. Overall it looks already fucking cool ! well done
    Thank you, It's definitely a work in progress but I appreciate your comments, those pink rocks you see are just a different mesh that will eventually be the same as the others I have done, they are just there as placeholders at the moment, left from the whitebox phase. I will mix it up with some solid green assets, big twirling vines that push through the pink rocks, my aim is to have a nice vivid environment, that hopefully is faithful to the original.