Home Technical Talk

How to model cloths?

cjpeg
null
Offline / Send Message
cjpeg null
Hello friends,

I always wanted to create different rugs, carpets and clothes like is this picture.
Are there good tutorials how to create them? Even paid ones, I would buy a good tutorial about creating something like this.

Please help.

Replies

• Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    Marvelous Designer. 
  • Andreicus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreicus polycounter lvl 6
    You can sculpt it in a software like Zbrush or you can use Marvelous Designer, i recommend this complete course from CGElves: https://cgelves.com/courses-workshops/mastering-marvelous-designer/

For Zbrush there is this tutorial here on Lynda: https://www.lynda.com/ZBrush-tutorials/ZBrush-Learn-Sculpt-Cloth/419362-2.html
  • musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan high dynamic range
    Either way, Marvelous will only get you most of the way there. You'll still need to do some work in Zbrush, so both of these will be helpful.

Also, retopology will be a big part of the workflow if it's production assets you're creating.
  • JordanN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    If your modeling program supports it, there are also built-in cloth/physics simulations. 
  • cjpeg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cjpeg null

How to create this torn pattern at the edge? For example I have a rectangle or a simple plane with simple color, but how to create this torn edge?

Please help me... I beg you.
  • Alemja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alemja hero character
    I found this really great site that can show you a bunch of different ways to do it: http://lmgtfy.com/?q=zbrush+adding+cloth+tassels

Just in case you didn't get the joke, you're going to have to figure out what end result you want, gather reference and then do some experimentation, because there are honestly a ton of different ways to achieve that look. If you aren't willing to do some problem solving on your own and are only looking for tutorials, you will never get the result you are looking for.

To get a better response you have to help us help you, show us what you've tried so far!

• cjpeg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cjpeg null

Is there a way not to use Zbrush? I didn't study this program yet.
    I tried something, but this is not what I wanted.
    I am just a student, please someone help.
    I better be dead, no one wants to help me.
  • JordanN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    While I'm not a character artist, if I ever I get stumped on how to model an object, I search online and look for already existing props or characters and look at a wireframe breakdown of how the artist made it. 

Right now however, I'm actually confused at what you're trying to make. You said you wanted to make a rug, but the character in the screenshot is wearing a type of ancient cloak or chiton.

You should specify if you're making the rug or a person's clothes. 
  • FULGORE
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FULGORE greentooth
    cjpeg said:
    I better be dead, no one wants to help me.
    Pretty melodramatic.

I worked on some similar stuff recently, for the worn edges with lots of loose fibres, I made a horizontally-tiling "trim" texture of fibres and loose fabric, and when I wanted to add this to an edge of an existing cloth mesh I just extruded the edge out a bit, detached those new faces and mapped their UVs in a straight line across this "trim" texture.

Also a lot of the look of the end result will depend on your shader/material setups - you could simulate or sculpt the best cloth ever, but you'd best have it look like realistic cloth in terms of the shader :smile:
  • kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    Yeah if you are just starting out it can seem impossible. It's like asking how long a piece of string is. There are lots of ways to model what you need and it depends on what you intend to use the model for.

A combination of ZBrush  and Marvelous Designer is popular at the moment. Here is a screen cap I made years ago modelling a bust using the transparent interface feature in ZBrush and its undo history for the film.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSYH9NYFoes&t=1s
    The scarf bit starts at 7:30. The base for the scarf I probably made in 3DMax. These days with the ZBrush modeling bush I would use that for the basic form.
    Here is an example of a combination of ZBrush and Marvelous Designer:

You really got all the information you need. Nobody has the time to show you step by step, its just too much info. With the key words you have from the posts above search further on youtube for detailed tutorials that take you step by step through the process.
    May the force be with you!
    Cheers
  • MmAaXx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MmAaXx polycounter lvl 10
    I do most of my sims in blender ,since I know pretty well how blender handle things, but if you have the money probably marvelous is the best choice.
  • Camilli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Camilli polycounter lvl 2

cjpeg said:

How to create this torn pattern at the edge? For example I have a rectangle or a simple plane with simple color, but how to create this torn edge?

Please help me... I beg you.

Hi! :)

I don't know how to make this in Zbrush but If you're going to use Marvelous Designer, you could 'cheat' by creating a torn texture with an opacity map.

I made some free tutorials on how to make torn edges and holes in MD: 
    https://cgelves.com/free-marvelous-designer-tutorials-how-to-make-tattered-zombie-clothes/

Cheers,
    Camille