Home Technical Talk

Please recommend non-beginner Maya tutorials

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
ant1fact polycounter lvl 9
Hi all,

I've been modelling for a few years now in Blender & Zbrush but I want to learn Maya for employability reasons. Can you recommend any good, fast pace tutorials for Maya for people who already know modelling and want to transfer their skills? I'm thinking similar speed and efficiency that you can see in Michael Pavlovich's tutorials for ZBrush. Preferrably Maya 2017 and up or could be earlier if the earlier versions weren't too different

Many thanks and have a great weekend!

p.s. I did a search around in the forums but I couldn't really find what I was looking for, hence this post

Replies

• oglu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    the Hulkbuster tutorial is a good one..
    https://gumroad.com/l/HulkBuster
  • ant1fact
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the recommendation, @oglu
    20 dollars seems a bit steep considering I only need the first 4 hours but the author does mention another one of his tutorials called "Fuze" which seems to be more in-depth on modelling for only half the price: https://gumroad.com/l/Fuze01 - do you reckon I could try this one instead?

Also looking forward to more recommendations from people <3
  • ant1fact
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks mods for moving this in the right forum. I couldn't initially decide if this was technical talk or general discussion.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    T T is the place for software queries!

Have you looked at the tutorials that come with Maya? That's seriously the first place to go, all the rest is a crap shoot, never know how knowledgeable the author is going to be. (they had to learn somewhere... was it thru years of dedicated use? unlikely) http://help.autodesk.com/view/MAYAUL/2018/ENU/
  • ant1fact
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Eric, it's looking good. I don't know why I haven't thought about reading the official documentation. I guess I wanted some shortcuts to transfer my previous modelling knowledge to a new package faster, but maybe it's best to take some time and get down to the basics.
  • throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ant1fact said:
    Thanks Eric, it's looking good. I don't know why I haven't thought about reading the official documentation. I guess I wanted some shortcuts to transfer my previous modelling knowledge to a new package faster, but maybe it's best to take some time and get down to the basics.
    These questions are usually weird to answer despite it coming up often. Experienced users don't have much need to pay attention to good newbie tutorials, and people who (maybe) found some helpful ones never seem to come back to answer the next thread.

Maya's documentation is pretty nice. I'd suggest getting familiar with the UI and how to navigate using marking menus first. Almost all of your modeling operations are on the shift-rmb menus.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's because experienced people generally don't see a valuable enough return on investing their time into writing up a good guide.

Time better spent on projects.

Though Gumroad and the like make it a bit more attractive. Still, steep entry, time-sink wise.
  • ant1fact
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks throttlekitty and Eric. I can see your point about why these kinds of tutorials aren't out there. I guess I'll remember shift+rmb and other than that just make a nice coffee and take my time with the documentation. Also, sometimes I remind myself that if I could learn Zbrush, I can learn anything lol