Home Career & Education

Artwork with watermarks

null
Offline / Send Message
Epsilonn null
Hello,
I was working on a 3D artworks for my 3D portfolio on maya and rendering with Arnold.
Surprisely, after batch rendering, there is a slight watermarks on my rendering.... I was wondering if it was OK to put my artwork on my portfolio even is there is some watermarks from Arnold? :/  
Does it seems professional ? :neutral:

Thank you for you help !!!!

Replies

• JordanN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    Are you using a student version of Maya/Arnold (or any other non-commercial equivalent)? 

If possible, I would do whatever I can to minimize it (assuming that doesn't violate EULA). Having a big "THIS WAS RENDERED IN MAYA" plastered on your final art just comes off as really distracting.
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    Is this for a game art portfolio? if so, you shouldn't be rendering your work at all, you should be putting it into an engine like unity or unreal and showcasing it as realtime art, as it gives potential employers an idea that you are somewhat aware of realtime limitations and how to work within them. 

if you are looking for VFX/movie work or arch vis, find something that doesnt watermark your work to render in, like blender or something, that's not really my area of expertise though. But yea, watermarks are distracting. I would even consider dropping whatever a monthly sub price is for a month of maya or whatever your program of choice is. even if its 200 bucks....its your portfolio, invest in yourself if you are taking this seriously as a career option. 200 bucks is nothing if it can net you a 35-40k starting salary.

final note on watermarks.....dont watermark your personal brand or logo huge across portfolio images. It's not 1999, I always cringe hard when I see the few artstation posts that have that. Always put your best foot forward.
  • JordanN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    Actually, I'm confused why would Arnold give a watermark?

Autodesk bought out the company and it got integrated in the newest versions of Max/Maya. 
    Unless you're using an older version, then why not either upgrade or use Mental Ray/iRay?

Or like PixelMasher said, if you're trying to enter the game industry, drop both and just download UE4.
  • NikhilR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NikhilR polycounter
    You could always use marmoset renderer which has a pbr shader pipeline.
  • Epsilonn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Epsilonn null
    Thank you a lot for your help and answers !

I'm using the last version of maya, I was shocked too, to have watermarks. So I will go learn more about UE4 and probably subscribe for a monthly access for arnold in the future.

I'm doing portfolio in environment for 'both' video games and for animation films  :# maybe have to choose between this two  :o

• .Wiki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    .Wiki polycounter lvl 8
    JordanN said:
    Actually, I'm confused why would Arnold give a watermark?

Autodesk bought out the company and it got integrated in the newest versions of Max/Maya. 
    Unless you're using an older version, then why not either upgrade or use Mental Ray/iRay?

Or like PixelMasher said, if you're trying to enter the game industry, drop both and just download UE4.
    The free version of arnold adds a watermark if you batchrender. If you dont batchrender there is no watermark.