Home Animation Showcase & Critiques

WIP - Cartoon cat - critique

polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
L0Lock polycounter lvl 2
Hello there! :)

I’m making a short movie about a cartoon cat for my studies. There is no plot, just some actions with the young cat and its new room. My main goal is to animate.

I would like to share here some playblasts in order to get some feedback and critiques to make my animation better.

The link below is today's latest playblast :
https://syncsketch.com/sketch/97703fb55eef/#415714

And this is an idea of how it will look like in full render :

My goal is first to finish the current animation, then extend it, bit per bit, as long as I can until ~ June 10th.

Thank you for your help.

Replies

• BoonS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BoonS polycounter lvl 7
    Some thoughts:
    From frame ~40 to ~180, that part goes really slowly, almost to the point of lacking narrative intent. I'd suggest shortening it or maybe doing something more with the pupil dilatation around that time.

When the cat targets the corner at ~225, I understand that cats can be impulsive and pounce randomly, but half of me expects something to be there. I could very well be missing on something you're going to add later, but I think it'd be nice to have a laser point hovering around there.

For anticipation sake I'd suggest the cat having to do one big pull at the corner on ~270 before tumbling down, to kind of set up for the fall.

And for the rolling fall itself, I'd suggest adding more follow-through to prevent it from falling stiffly on the ground. It's pretty stiff when it stops at the pose at ~295, also pretty stiff when it changes stance at ~340 and when it stands to a stiff at the very end.

Hope that helps, and nice render.
  • L0Lock
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    L0Lock polycounter lvl 2
    Thank you for these thoughts, I really appreciate. :blush:

for 40-180 : Yes, It was actually worse a few days before ^^' I'll add some movements, and maybe cut out some frames.

225 : yeah, my cat loves hunting down invisible preys... That's what I'm inspired for, but as most of the time people don't get this I'm thinking of adding visual info. I've been suggested to add a fly, but it's another thing to animate, I thought about adding something there on the cat tree's texture (which I have to draw at some point anyway). But I like the idea of a laser pointer, that could be fun to do and more obvious to everyone.

270 : good idea

stiffness : I'll do more follow through in the fall. the last pose is not well animated at all, I barely worked on it because it will change when I will proceed to the next poses.

Again, thank you for your help, this is precious to me.
  • L0Lock
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    L0Lock polycounter lvl 2
    Some updates !  :)

I can't do all the things I have been warned about, because of the deadline, but I try to do to most of it and I'm going forward in what was planned.
  • L0Lock
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    L0Lock polycounter lvl 2
    Some updates !  :)

I can't do all the things I have been warned about, because of the deadline, but I try to do to most of it and I'm going forward in what was planned.
  • L0Lock
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    L0Lock polycounter lvl 2

Hi there !

My short movie Neko-San is out, you can check it out  on its Artstation page, along with some bonus content 

Don't hesitate to comment, share, or watch wrapped under your duvet. ^^