Home Quixel Megascans

Answered: Megascans Bridge Unity Live Link bug - not completely importing 3d assets

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
philwinkel polycounter lvl 4
Hey all I am trying to use the megascans bridge  live link with unity.  I have followed the instructions as per this video:
https://youtu.be/okUua_UjALs - namely, i have the latest version of bridge, 2.2.45,  and i have imported the unitypackage so I have the quixel.megascans editor thing installed in my unity project. 

When I import a 3d asset from bridge,  it copies the materials and the albedo and metallic texture, and creates a material, but it is missing the normal map and any other textures.  It is not importing  any fbx files, and there are no prefabs being created.

My download settings and export settings in bridge all look correct.  It has downloaded all of the files and they are in my megascans library folder, but  the live link importer is not completely importing the fbx files and creating prefabs.

I have tried using the different settings available in the megascans editor window - i changed the shader type to all of the different options, still does not import any fbx files or create prefabs.

Megascans bridge was indicating that the export was successful each time for the 3d assets.  At one point when i was trying to import a seaweed atlas,  it did say import failed and told me to check an error log, but i have no idea where the log is located.

any help would be appreciated, thanks~

Replies

• philwinkel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i sat down and took a look at the source code for a few minutes,  it appears the unitypackage was hard-coded for windows style paths using "//" as the directory separator character, and \n for the newline character.  That appears to be part of why it's not working on mac osx. I'm still working thru all the code, ill post back if i get it fixed
  • philwinkel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    got it importing the fbx and creating the prefab, i had to make modifications to MegascansImporter.cs  - https://pastebin.com/XTvGnb05

also... right now in the code if you had selected to export the "high" mesh in bridge,  the unity code is not doing anything. it only imports meshes if you have selected an LOD:

• almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    Hello!

I'm still undecided on how to handle the high poly mesh import, some of them are insanely dense and likely to crash Unity. I might just add a popup dialogue that asks if you want to fall back to LOD0 instead. Your thoughts here would be valuable.

i sat down and took a look at the source code for a few minutes,  it appears the unitypackage was hard-coded for windows style paths using "//" as the directory separator character, and \n for the newline character.  That appears to be part of why it's not working on mac osx. I'm still working thru all the code, ill post back if i get it fixed
    Would you mind being more specific about this? Which part of the process isn't working on Mac?
  • Konfetty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Konfetty null
    Hi,

i discovered the problem as well. Yesterday I spent about 4 hours tweaking all setting right. I got it to import the individual LOD-Files, if they were selected in the export-popup in Bridge. But if I select "High-Poly" it just imports the material and some other little things, but no single prefab.

I manually tried to copy the high-poly .fbx file from the downloadsfolder of Bridge directly to the assets in unity and connect the materials manually. But the mesh just looks washed out, like a lower lod-version. But the file states "highPoly" and also lod0-5 files are existent.
    Could this be a fact with only a free subscription account active and it is stated nowhere, that you only get good high-poly meshes with a paid subscription? (I don't think so...)

The source code shown above leads to the conclusion, that the most important function is not implemented and it is not pointed out in the video. My question is: Will this work in the very near future OR is this not the source code of the current plugin and all just a bug on some machines? 

Maybe this is not the right place to ask, but it is the ONLY proper "discussion" abut this topic that I could find.

Thank you very much :)
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    High poly import will be in the next update to the importer. But for real... the high poly models are several million polygons, they are NOT game res assets.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    Just a quick heads-up guys,

If you're not getting certain textures show up (particularly normal maps), please make sure you're exporting to LOD0, and the texture export format is set to jpg. The importer does not import EXR format by design, that option will be removed from bridge (unity specific) at some point soon.
  • RobertRamsay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RobertRamsay polycounter lvl 9