Home Career & Education

Wannabe-Cartoon/Fantasy Styled-Artist.

null
Hello everyone. Nice to meet such amazingly talented people.

So a little about me.

I'm 25 and just getting into game design in general. I'm a little more than a beginner- almost intermediate coder who has always wanted to be a 3D artist but has never thought he'd be able to even get closeto touching art in any meaningful way.

I'd love to be able to create beautiful stylized worlds, and creatures and beings.

Something along this vien of style would be  something I'd love to achieve: 
https://youtu.be/ZIuq5NBFKi4

I have zero, count it, ZERO experience in ANY form of art, I.E: Hand-drawn, digital (Although I can I can use photoshop to manipulate images semi-well) Chalk, watercoloring, you name it and I've never even so much as touched it until a week or so ago, trying my hand at blender.

Blender seems to be the best point to start for me and thus I've found my way here, among talented artist to ask for assistance and maybe a point or two in the right direction(s) in helping me achieve my goal of something as above.

Youtube seems to be my main stay at the moment but channels are scattered and don't seem to always be on a consistant level, topic or style.

So again, I ask if anyone has any ideas, advice, channels, websites, tutorials, tips and tricks or anything, no mattter how simple.

Any and All help would be appreciated.

Thank you very much in advance. I look forward to talking and learning with you all.

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Welcome to Polycount! 

Check the sticky topic at the top of this section.
    http://polycount.com/discussion/181999/game-industry-career-resources
    Tons of info on our wiki, especially for those just starting out.

If you want to learn art, try here too
    http://wiki.polycount.com/wiki/Concept_Fundamentals
  • BobOfTibia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BobOfTibia null
    Thank you! 

And I had checked out the first link previously, seems like some good information for when I actually have any art skills to market, haha.

The second link is pretty useful, I'll definitely look into painting and such.

Thanks again!
  • Taylor Brown
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Taylor Brown ngon master
    Check out CGCookie. It's a very newbie friendly platform for 3D education with a nice supportive community. The main software focus is on Blender and Unity, as well as some 2D concept art fundamentals. The courses / concepts do gradually get higher level but at a nice pace. They also have little assignments for modules that get approval from other users. It's like $30 / mo USD.
  • BobOfTibia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BobOfTibia null
    Thanks a bunch, will definitely do, Infact, I started shortly after reading your suggestion, and it's the perfect place to learn it seems, absolutely what I have been looking for! 
  • Taylor Brown
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Taylor Brown ngon master
    Rad dude! Once you get comfortable with pushing verts and you want to get further into character art / sculpting I'd recommend looking into Zacharias Reinhardt (blender heavy artist who hosts a weekly CG challenge) and Shane Olson (runs 3D Character Workshop that offers another great community and his personal feedback on work).

Also, make sure you post stuff here! It may not get feedback immediately if its really basic but keep plugging away and people will notice.
  • BobOfTibia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BobOfTibia null
    Took a big look around CGC, going to invest in it tonight and take some of the modeling classes, pretty excited!

I think I remember Zacharias Reinhardt from Youtube, so I'll be seeing a lot of his work for sure. The CG challenge sounds like something to work into when I get my tool kit more fleshed out and see where I'm proficient. 

And absolutely, feed back will be much appriciated I'm sure! 

Thank you again!