Home Marmoset

AO baking & Multi-Layer PSD

ijac
null
Offline / Send Message
ijac null
Looking for some clarification.  Still fairly new to Marmoset.

I have an arm and a hand.  Arm and hand are separate meshes (in both the high and low).  They live on the same UV set.  I do NOT want them to cast AO on each other.  I'd like them to bake out into a single PSD file.  I like using the Multi-Layer PSD option.

Here are the 2 options I've tried ...

Option1 - 1 Bake Group Baker Object (mesh names): 
    arm_high_limb
    arm_low_limb
    arm_high_hand
    arm_low_hand

When I do Option 1 the arm and hand cast AO on each other = BAD.  But they bake out into the same file when using Multi-Layer PSD option = GOOD.

Option 2 - 2 Bake Groups Baker Objects (mesh names):
   arm_high
   arm_low
   hand_high
   hand_low

When I do Option 2 the arm and hand do NOT cast AO on each other = GOOD.  But they do NOT bake out into the same file = BAD ... because I then have to combine the textures in Photoshop and check the padding so the arm and hand aren't overlapping each other.

IS THIS OPTION POSSIBLE ... 
   I'd like the arm and hand to bake out into a single PSD and prevent the arm and hand from casting AO on each other.

Thanks for any input!

Replies

• EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think there is some confusion, option 2 will put the meshes into separate bake groups which will prevent them from casting AO onto each other, but it certainly shouldn't save two different PSD files.

Make sure the naming you're describing here is the mesh names and not the material names if you have multiple texture sets enabled. With multiple texture sets on, each material applied to the low poly meshes will generate a new bake/file.
  • ijac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ijac null
    Thanks for the response.  Yes, I was using mesh names (I updated my post to reflect that).

You seem to be suggesting I can have separate bake groups bake into a single PSD?  How?
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ijac said:
    Thanks for the response.  Yes, I was using mesh names (I updated my post to reflect that).

You seem to be suggesting I can have separate bake groups bake into a single PSD?  How?
    Correct, this is the default behavior. Bake groups do not create additional PSDs. You don't need to take any extra actions to do this.

The only system that creates additional PSDs is the Multiple Texture Sets option, which creates a new psd for each unique material applied to the low poly meshes (basename_materialname_mapname.psd) so if you don't need that, make sure it's disabled. If you do need this system, make sure you only have unique materials for each texture set, and that you're not applying a unique material to every object in the scene.
  • ijac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ijac null
    Ok I understand Multiple Texture Sets now.  Thank you.  But it's not giving me the result I'm looking for.  The arm and hand cast AO on each other.  I don't want this.  So ...

From my experience using Marmoset this seems to be the default behavior ... every bake group gets its own PSD file.

Here is what I wish I could do ... have separate bake groups bake/produce/create a single PSD file.  For the life of me I can't figure out how to do this.  Is it possible?

• EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay I see the problem, when you say Bake Group what you mean is Baker Object. What you need to do is use a single Bake Object and put all of your meshes into different Bake Groups. Bake Groups in this case are the folders named Arms and Hand, while the Baker Object is the object in the scene which contains all of the bake settings. Each Baker Object will save a unique PSD, that is correct..

More information can be found here as well: https://www.marmoset.co/posts/toolbag-baking-tutorial/
  • ijac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ijac null
    Sorry for the confusion.  Bake Group vs Baker Object, got it.  Thanks for your patience :)

So when I put the Arm and Hand into the same Baker Object but into their own separate Bake Groups they cast AO on each other.  I'd like the Bake Groups to not cast AO on each other.  Is this possible?
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ijac said:
    Sorry for the confusion.  Bake Group vs Baker Object, got it.  Thanks for your patience :)

So when I put the Arm and Hand into the same Baker Object but into their own separate Bake Groups they cast AO on each other.  I'd like the Bake Groups to not cast AO on each other.  Is this possible?
    Yes, make sure "Ignore Groups" is disabled in the AO settings.