Home 2D Art Showcase & Critiques

Posting Horror-based Artwork

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
Ruffu polycounter lvl 5
Hello Everyone!

Just wanted to post this thread here to show some creatures or environments that have horror themed subjects. I love horror so I thought it would be cool to have a place to dump some scary stuff!

Hope you guys like! And feel free to give any constructive criticism that will help with bettering the mood, atmosphere, creature design, lighting, environment, etc. 

Here's one to start us off! 

She's based off the black lady legend from Philippine folklore and mythology.

Replies

• Ruffu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruffu polycounter lvl 5
    Hey there! Here's another one.

This one is a very common and popular creature/monster in the Philippines called a manananggal. It's kind of like a vampire but not really. Story goes that at night, an innocent-looking person transforms into this creature and goes around eating people; most notably, they love unborn babies.

Mmm-mm~! deliciously exotic.

• Ruffu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruffu polycounter lvl 5
    I just a did a little adjusting and made a higher contrast version so that you can see more of the monster. Personally, I like the mood shot more.
  • Ruffu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruffu polycounter lvl 5
    This little guy is said to be mischievous and will take your things if you leave them unattended. They live in mounds in the ground and you should ask for permission when disturbing them so that they don't put a curse on you.
  • Ruffu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruffu polycounter lvl 5
    This one is a little sketchy and rough still. I'm still trying to figure out what he's actually going to look like. This guy is called a Kapre and he hangs around in trees and smokes and stuff. Some stories have him being docile and others being aggressive.
  • Ruffu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruffu polycounter lvl 5
    Here's something that's called an Amalanhig. It's very close to what most of you know as a zombie. But this guy, based on who's telling and from where, does a bunch of weird, mystical things that make them a very bad omen.
  • Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    I'm not really in any position to critique 2D artwork, but to me it looks good, and I love the subject matter! Keep it up.
  • Ruffu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruffu polycounter lvl 5
    @Joopson Thanks man! Will do; these are fun to paint.
  • Ruffu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruffu polycounter lvl 5
    She seems inviting...
  • Ruffu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruffu polycounter lvl 5
    This one's more of a practice on photobashing and still a WIP. Pretty fun! Other than the fact that I don't really get to paint a lot. 
  • Ruffu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruffu polycounter lvl 5
    Do you guys have any suggestions for the previous image? I have a feeling that the foreground may have too much noise. Or maybe that the creature in the tunnel might not be illuminated enough to be seen. You guys might not even know he's there until you really look at it. Any useful suggestions to make the painting better? I'll really appreciate it!
  • Ruffu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruffu polycounter lvl 5
    Here's a concept of Thomas, Jaslene's best friend from the horror game that me and some friends are making. Currently a WIP.
  • Ruffu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruffu polycounter lvl 5
    This one's more of a work in progress but basically, this one is called a "tiyanak." This little bugger pretends to be a baby and lures people in. Then when people least expect it, it eats 'em! Ah yes, classic demon baby. I'll be back for more updates for this.
  • Ruffu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruffu polycounter lvl 5
    Added more stuff to the image and did a super rough lighting pass on it so I can have an idea on what I would like the lighting for it to be.

• Ruffu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruffu polycounter lvl 5
    This is almost done! Just gotta paint more of the baby and it should be good. It also has more of the lighting that I wanted.
  • Ruffu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruffu polycounter lvl 5
    Calling this one done. On to the next creepy creature. If you hear a baby cry out in the woods somewhere and something feels off, you might be better off leaving it alone. Or turn your shirt inside-out. Weird solution, I know...
  • Ruffu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruffu polycounter lvl 5
    Just wanted to post a sketch
  • Ruffu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruffu polycounter lvl 5
    Started on a new project. Still a WIP but thought I'd share the block out of it. There's gonna be a monster where that far girl is.
  • Ruffu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruffu polycounter lvl 5
    Dressed the scene up a little more and placed in some rough lighting in there. Apologies, it's a little dark at the moment.
  • Ruffu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruffu polycounter lvl 5
    Added another character to the game... Meet Nina! She's kind of a jerk.
  • Ruffu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruffu polycounter lvl 5
    Just wanted to do another sketch. This one is of the Tikbalang. 
  • Ruffu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruffu polycounter lvl 5
    Hi there you guys! Back for another update on that environment/creature piece I had going on. Added more stuff to it and started bashing a couple of pics in there. WIP...
  • Ruffu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruffu polycounter lvl 5
    Just added a little bit more to the image. 

• proto93
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    proto93 polycounter lvl 4
    It is my dream to make a horror game one day. I wish you great luck on your project.
  • Ruffu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruffu polycounter lvl 5
    proto93 said:
    It is my dream to make a horror game one day. I wish you great luck on your project.
    Horror games are awesome! Thanks man. 
  • KenWong
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KenWong null
    Ruffu said:
    This one's more of a practice on photobashing and still a WIP. Pretty fun! Other than the fact that I don't really get to paint a lot. 
    Hello! Great work! I can't comment too much on the others but you're right in saying that it's hard to notice the creature, I had to crank up the brightness to see but is it a horse head/creature? I'm not sure how else to improve it though... would miniature lights in the tunnel be on at that time of day hm, at least that could give a better glimpse of the creature. Or if the whole tone is switched from daytime to night time and have maybe torchlights of someone investigating shining on the wall instead, that'd be quite different and would explain why the lights are on inside heh.

Another thing I'd like to comment is perhaps to shorten the text on the right to "HELP someone following me" or "HELP being followed". I imagine the writer is bleeding out at that point and probably can't write too much. It maybe hard for them to reach that height too - I guess the top of the H is about 7ft, which means they were either standing or something or being propped up by the monster haha, but more realistically I can imagine them slouching.

Just had a thought, perhaps the last word can be cut off with a handprint dragging towards the tunnel? And maybe a random bloodied cap or piece of clothing.

All in all, still very good!
  • Ruffu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruffu polycounter lvl 5
    @KenWong Hey man, sorry for the early reply. I know I can respond incredibly fast sometimes and I just don't want to startle you with my canine-like attentive speed.

But yeah, I get what you mean. That monster in the tunnel is called a Tikabalang and is pretty much a reverse centaur. Head of a horse and body of a person. And they're also supposed to be tremendously buff. I was trying to go for something that would hint that he's in there but not give it away too soon. I wanted it to read from the outside (the message on the wall), following the blood trail, scanning the tunnel, and finally catching a glimpse of a silhouette of the creature. I guess I just have to figure out a better way to subtly light it.

I also agree with the message. I wanted to get across that whoever wrote that was being followed but as I wrote it I found it to be a little long for someone who's critically injured. As if he had the time to be perfectly and grammatically correct while the monster was just chewing away at his sheens. It is up there however, for a bit of staging for the composition. And I had it that that message was mostly left by the ghost of whoever died-- just to give you a perspective on where I was going with the piece.

Anyway, thanks for the feedback, man! I really appreciate it. I may not go back to the image above but I will keep in mind those points of improvement on the next piece.
  • Ruffu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruffu polycounter lvl 5
    Man, I haven't posted here in a while. Here's some late night horror posting by yours truly!
    This one is just a fairy that I thought of that could go into the game. A lot of Asian tribes back in the day (like hella long ago; ancient times) operated on a belief system called Animism. That's the belief that anything, if not, everything possessed a spiritual presence.

So this tiny little dude (or dudette, I made them gender neutral) emanates from dead leaves that fall from any foliage that sheds its sun sucking pads.

This one's just for size reference. In case, some of you guys were wondering.
  • Ruffu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruffu polycounter lvl 5
    Finally painted the monster in that one painting I did before. Here's a little preview.
  • Ruffu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruffu polycounter lvl 5
    I've been noodling this every now and then but I think I'm getting close to finishing this one.
  • Ruffu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruffu polycounter lvl 5

Concept Art of a crucial item that the player will be utilizing for the entirety of the game. Showing the stages here until the journal comes into the hand of the protagonist.

I'll be doing another Concept Art Piece with the backside that shows how the journal is affected. 
  • ScottP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScottP polycounter lvl 10
    Hey Ruffo, cool work so far, I really like the style. Do you have an email I can contact you for potential work on a few things I need concepted? Thanks!
  • Ruffu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruffu polycounter lvl 5
    @ScottP Yeah Scott, you can contact me through rinoruffu1123@yahoo.com

Let me know if anything comes up!
  • Ruffu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruffu polycounter lvl 5

I'm just gonna call this one done. I think I'll name it, The Fork in the Road. 

Nothing like having someone be there for you at the end of a rough school day.
  • Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    Some of your monsters really call to mind some mentioned in Hodgson's "The House on the Borderland". At least in aesthetic and creepiness. Have you read it? It's a good one!

Here's a cool excerpt:
    "And then, as I peered, curiously, a new terror came to me; for away up among the dim peaks to my right, I had descried a vast shape of blackness, giantlike. It grew upon my sight. It had an enormous equine head, with gigantic ears, and seemed to peer steadfastly down into the arena. There was that about the pose that gave me the impression of an eternal watchfulness--of having warded that dismal place, through unknown eternities."

and another:

Steadily, I neared the great building. Then, all at once, something caught my vision, something that came 'round one of the huge buttresses of the House, and so into full view. It was a gigantic thing, and moved with a curious lope, going almost upright, after the manner of a man. It was quite unclothed, and had a remarkable luminous appearance. Yet it was the face that attracted and frightened me the most. It was the face of a swine. Silently, intently, I watched this horrible creature, and forgot my fear, momentarily, in my interest in its movements. It was making its way, cumbrously 'round the building, stopping as it came to each window to peer in and shake at the bars, with which--as in this house--they were protected; and whenever it came to a door, it would push at it, fingering the fastening stealthily. Evidently, it was searching for an ingress into the House.

• Ruffu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruffu polycounter lvl 5
    @Joopson Those definitely sound interesting. I might check it out. Thanks!
  • Ruffu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruffu polycounter lvl 5

Here's the back part of the Journal. Not a lot of stuff happening in the back but it has been affected by the event. It's pretty much the same as the front except less blood. 
  • Ruffu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruffu polycounter lvl 5
    Just a sketch of another ghost.
  • Ruffu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruffu polycounter lvl 5
    [img]https://i.imgur.com/uI62Zqo.jpg[/img]

I have no idea why my image won't upload here but here's a link to an imgur copy of it. Hopefully it shows itself...
  • Ruffu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruffu polycounter lvl 5

I don't know if the problem with images got fixed yet so hopefully you guys can see this pic. Starting another piece and messing around with Arnold Renderer. Also practicing putting just rough base textures in there to start with. So far, I'm liking it.
  • Ruffu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruffu polycounter lvl 5

Just added a lamp in the background and detailed the bulletin board.
  • Ruffu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruffu polycounter lvl 5

Added some... stuff, I guess.
  • Ruffu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruffu polycounter lvl 5
    This time more of a sketch. Another character that's in the game. 
  • Ruffu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruffu polycounter lvl 5

Some concepts of patterns for the uniforms worn by students going to the Art Major of the School. Feeling like going for Fs on both sides.
  • Ruffu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruffu polycounter lvl 5

Just painting some more stuff to the scene. Gave a red foreground light but I'm not sure if I want to keep it in there. I might decrease its intensity. Also placed where I want the figures to be in. 
  • Ruffu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruffu polycounter lvl 5

Added more stuff to it.
  • Ruffu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruffu polycounter lvl 5

Defined the monster and added more effects to the walls. Too bad you can't see much of the creature. I might make some concept art pieces just for the poor guy.
  • Ruffu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruffu polycounter lvl 5
    Man, I haven't posted in a while. Here's a little something that I have been painting on. Trying a little way of rendering these. Something with more mood. This one's getting there but still not what I have in mind. 
  • Harley94
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Harley94 polycounter lvl 2
    Nice environment work! They look really moody and messy, which is great to have for the horror theme you want. I will have to echo the other's comments and say that they are a bit on the dark side. Have you considered adding a vague ambient light to improve readability?

Great character pieces, too! You have a very solid use of values, especially on your Amalanhig.
  • Ruffu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruffu polycounter lvl 5
    @Harley94 Thanks! Yeah, I notice that too. I want to make them brighter but every time I do that they lose the mood. That's the element I'm trying to balance. Want them to be readable but not lose the creep atmosphere. I'll see what bumping up the ambient lighting do.